IC questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkador

Reaction score
is it ok to just put a piece of 3/8in ID tubing over the end of the copper tube, and secure it in place with a hose clamp? the dude at Home Depot told me by the time it was tightened enough to hold the hose in place, it would crush the copper tube (sounds like BS to me)

I see the ICs that Austin Homebrew sell are built this way. The fittings to put a garden hose connection at the end is almost $25$ for both ends. 50' of 3/8od copper tube is only $40

is it ok to just put a piece of 3/8in ID tubing over the end of the copper tube, and secure it in place with a hose clamp? the dude at Home Depot told me by the time it was tightened enough to hold the hose in place, it would crush the copper tube (sounds like BS to me)

I see the ICs that Austin Homebrew sell are built this way. The fittings to put a garden hose connection at the end is almost $25$ for both ends. 50' of 3/8od copper tube is only $40

I have one of these from Morebeer that has the vinyl tubing clamped on. I have to tighten it often and sometimes it drips, so I have to make sure the joint is outside the the kettle. It works pretty good but I wish I had a better solution than a hose clamp.

I think you are ok with your method. There really isn't that much pressure going through those things. It might not be ideal, but it'll get the job done. And if it doesn't work you are out the $.25 it cost for the clamp. Just don't put the tubing on the out portion of the IC. The out water is hot!

I used mine with only clamps on for years with only a few drips every now and then. Like Pico said, make sure the connection is outside the pot. Also, I used that reinforced tubing from HD for years on the inlet and outlet with no problems. I routed the outlet to a drum to use for other things. - Dwain

Like this one?
IMG_3237.JPG

I used two clamps on each end and used the cheapest 1/2" garden hose at the hardware store. Haven't had a single drip since the day I built it two years ago.

Hell, mine HAS garden hose connectors and it STILL drips. As others have said: the best thing to do is make sure the IC/hose connection is outside of the kettle. I say go for the clamps. Don't waste the $$ trying to save a few ounces of garden hose water, that could leak out with GHC fittings anyway...

thanks for the fast replies. I will do the double up hose clamps. I am sure that HD guy wanted me to buy the fittings to increase the sale, but I want to keep this under $50 if i can. I have spent enough in the lst 2 weeks on equipment (this is the last thing i need to begin using my Keggle)

Is that 1/2in garden hose with a 3/8in copper tube?

HD not Lowes has more than 20foot coils of 1/2in copper, so I will likley go with the 3/8

thanks for the fast replies. I will do the double up hose clamps. I am sure that HD guy wanted me to buy the fittings to increase the sale, but I want to keep this under $50 if i can. I have spent enough in the lst 2 weeks on equipment (this is the last thing i need to begin using my Keggle)

Is that 1/2in garden hose with a 3/8in copper tube?

HD not Lowes has more than 20foot coils of 1/2in copper, so I will likley go with the 3/8

Mine is 1/2" OD copper and the 1/2" ID hose works well. On coppertubingsales.com the price difference for 50' is less than $8.

Back