Sparging times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
Prey for the noob question, but I'm moving to AG and am going to batch sparge. How long do I sparge for?

time is not the issue with batch sparging... though I prefer to add my sparge water, stir, and wait 5-10 minutes before vorlaufing and draining.

What I do is sparge until I have my boil volume but I also watch the wort to see if there still seems to be sugar remaining - I don't like to miss out!

B

I concur. Mash for 60 minutes, vorlauf a a few times, drain the MT, add the sparge water (mine is usually around 185F if I got it on the burner in time) and stir it up well. Wait 5 minutes for the sugars to rinse out and vorlauf and drain again until you hit your pre-boil volume. Don't forget to take a well-mixed sample from the kettle before you boil to calculate your mash efficiency.

I do a double-batch sparge, so I add half of my heated water, do the thing, then add the rest and stir and sit a second time.

do you get better efficiency doing double?

I don't know about Silver but I absolutely get better efficiency doubling up. The only issue is when you do a big beer and the initial mash in gives you a large first running so your sparge volume is too small to split.

time is not the issue with batch sparging... though I prefer to add my sparge water, stir, and wait 5-10 minutes before vorlaufing and draining.

This is exactly what I do, I also mashout with the volume lost to absorption before draining my first runnings.

Since I started mashing out with the absorbed volume (I bring it to a boil to get the grainbed temp up) and splitting my sparge into two separate sparges I have been getting 85-89% efficiency. I also drain the tun fairly slow, maybe 50% open on the valve, it makes for a clearer runoff too.

I don't know about Silver but I absolutely get better efficiency doubling up. The only issue is when you do a big beer and the initial mash in gives you a large first running so your sparge volume is too small to split.

Thats when I shoot for a longer boil, so I need to sparge with more water to make up for the long boil.

It really comes down to your equipment and the time you have available.

Start with a single sparge, mashout with your calculated absorption amount, and then start fine tuning your process each brewday to see if efficiency goes up, if not keep doing a single sparge.

Maybe, never done single-batch. My first one calculated out to some ridiculous 90s efficiency, which maybe I did something wrong but I couldn't find a mistake. My last batch was mid-70s, but I was also mashing at a low temp in a larger tun (chest cooler). I have also shot for 1.5qts/lb for mash thickness. Honestly, I'm too new to know what's helping and what's not. I read a lot and decided what I would do based on research, not experience, but I'll hopefully be able to back it up someday. Then again, if it's not broke, I probably won't try to fix it.

This is awesome, guys. Thanks for the input. Depending on how overwhelmed I get on my 1st AG batch, I may double sparge w/ half volume as some of you do. I love this place!

Cheers!

Is it OK to sparge with water @ 185 *F? I was under the impression that getting it above 170 *F was somehow detrimental. Or are you assuming the soaked grains will bring the sparge temp down?

Is it OK to sparge with water @ 185 *F? I was under the impression that getting it above 170 *F was somehow detrimental. Or are you assuming the soaked grains will bring the sparge temp down?

It depends on the temp of the grains, when I add my mashout water, say for an 11 lb grainbill I use just over 5 quarts of water, if I bring it to a boil and add it to a mashtun sitting at 154° it will bring the temp up to about 165-168°, after this addition I make all remaining sparge additions at 170°

Since I started mashing out with the absorbed volume (I bring it to a boil to get the grainbed temp up) and splitting my sparge into two separate sparges I have been getting 85-89% efficiency. I also drain the tun fairly slow, maybe 50% open on the valve, it makes for a clearer runoff too.

+1 for all of this. I have seen significant improvement from a slower lauter.

It depends on the temp of the grains, when I add my mashout water, say for an 11 lb grainbill I use just over 5 quarts of water, if I bring it to a boil and add it to a mashtun sitting at 154° it will bring the temp up to about 165-168°, after this addition I make all remaining sparge additions at 170°

OK, that answers my question. I work on a much smaller scale than that, so 185* sparge water seemed a little excessive.

As a sidenote, how do you get the degree symbol? I'm sick of using the asterisk.

OK, that answers my question. I work on a much smaller scale than that, so 185* sparge water seemed a little excessive.

As a sidenote, how do you get the degree symbol? I'm sick of using the asterisk.

Try Alt+0176 (all while holding down Alt). Works on Firefox. ° <- See? :)

Back