What did I just make???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
I think its some sort of a brown ale of sorts. I was bored to death today and decided to throw some indgredients together and brew. Not sure what i made here.
12 lbs 2 row
8oz munich
8oz 80L
8oz honey malt
8oz aromatic
8oz dextrin
8oz special b
8oz oats
.5 cascade at 60 minutes
2oz willamette at 15
saf ale 04

Soooooooooooo what is it i just made?

May not be brown enough for a brown. Maybe 4 or 6 oz of chocolate malt would have put it there. The rest of it looks quite like what a brown would have though. Maybe you brewed an Albino Brown.

I'm sure it'll be good, whatever it is.

I've PM'ed BeerSmith about this issue! You are supposed to start with a style and brew to it...but I miss a lot....and I like to wrangle existing recipes a lot.
Wouldn't it be cool to have a reverse lookup for style?

BeerSmith says you did this:

OG: 1.084
FG: 1.021
Color 17.8
IBU: 23

That puts you roughly in the style guidelines for "Old Ale", A Belgian Dark Strong or Scotch Ale, among others. I'd go with Old Ale since I don't think anyone really knows what that is and you can throw it out there like its retro and all the cool kids are brewing it these days.

I got a horrible efficiency of 1.062. Makes me a sad little puppy. I was looking for the 1.082 or so. This is my very first time using safale 04 and i cant believe how much co2 its pumping out. Ive never had a brew make the airlock go into hyper mode like this. Needless to say im very pleased. Also the hop aroma coming out is to die for.

Back