No airlock activity after transferring to secondary over fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drpduck

Reaction score
So I'm making a blueberry wheat, using the John Bull Masterclass kit. The SG was 1.040, and within 6 days in the primary it was around 1.008. I'm using the Safbrew WB-06 and the fermentation temp was a little high at 76 F.

So I racked it to the secondary over 5 lbs of previously frozen crushed blueberries, which ended up yielding quite a bit of blueberry juice (at least 2-3 cups). When I transfered over, there was still a small amount of bubbling occuring in the wort that was visible and a decent amount of suspended yeast.
But after 2 days, there is no activity whatsoever in the airlock.

I know that putting 5 lbs of blueberries in had to include a decent amount of sugar for the yeast to munch on, but alas no activity is visible.

Is this normal to have no airlock activity in the 2ndary after racking/fruit addition??

Yes, the yeast is still active, but not active enough to see the airlock moving. It is fermenting don't worry. Relax and :tank:

99% of the time my secondary never "bubbles". 2nds are used for clearing and getting rid of most of the spent yeast from the primary.

I would not worry too much either - fruit generally ferments very well.

I would recommend taking another gravity reading in a few days and see what it looks like then.

Cheers,
Brad

Berries have very little sugar (~4-5% by weight) and will ferment out rapidly. Five pounds of blueberries is only a couple ounces of fructose.

Back