Is "Carafa I" the same as "Chocolate" Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
I have done some searches on this topic and theres a lot of different opinions. I did not feel I found a solid answer to my question. Heres my situation. I usually get all my grains from a homebrew store that is about 45 minutes from my house but recently a new homebrew store opened that is much closer so I decided to give them a try. I wrote down my recipe and took it in to be filled. One of the grains on my recipe was Chocolate malt and I wrote it down as "chocolate" on the grain bill. Once I got home I noticed on my receipt that they gave me "Carafa I" instead of the chocolate that was written on my recipe sheet. I called them back and they said that "carafa I" IS THE SAME as chocolate malt just a particular brand. I asked if they had domestic and British chocolate malt and they said yes but that unless specified they give all their customers "Carafa I". Needless to say I was baffled why they would do this when they have actual domestic and British chocolate malt. After doing some research all I found is that carafa is more an aromatic/coloring malt more than the toasted/chocolate flavor that chocolate malt is used for. I took the grains back to the store that same day and they "insisted" that I was wrong about it and didn't even offer to take the grains back and make my order correctly. I ended up getting more British chocolate malt and just added it to the grain bill that In my opinion was wrong. I hope its not way too robust when all is said and done. Can anyone shed some light on this for me about whether or not Carafa I and chocolate malts are the same or different? Thanks for any help you can give me

debittered carafa is basically the same thing. regular carafa is kind of a combo between a little roasted and chocolate, and wouldn't fit in styles calling for chocolate without some mild roastiness

Yes, they are the same. Or at least, really close enough. The dehusked version is less bitter, and may not be the same exactly, but it still should be unnoticeable in the finished product.

But you still should have got what you ordered/wanted! You didn't happen to go to Hearts Homebrew (or whatever the name is, something with a Heart). I've never been there, but have heard of it by (bad) reputation.

no this was with a new store called Sanford Homebrew shop in sanford florida. I actually have made my best beers with grains that I recieved from hearts but I do totally agree with all the bad things people say about them as I recieved the same "bad attitude" when going to hearts. That said I place my order online with hearts and just pick them up so I dont have to deal with their crap. I was stoked to find a new homebrew shop that was closer but after this whole ordeal I think i'm actually gonna order online from hearts again cause my beers turned out great. Also the grains I recieved from sanford homebrew shop resulted in my first stuck sparge. Not saying 100% that their grain crack was bad cause anything can happen on any given day. So these grains were for a Porter that I made, was it wrong that I recieved carafa I instead of the chocolate I requested???

yes, it was wrong, as chocolate is 1 flavor they all should carry. it's used in too many beers for them to not carry it. carafa will work, though

yes, it was wrong, as chocolate is 1 flavor they all should carry. it's used in too many beers for them to not carry it. carafa will work, though

Thats what was weird! They DO have domestic and British chocolate but unless specified as such they give Carafa I

Thats what was weird! They DO have domestic and British chocolate but unless specified as such they give Carafa I

i can't explain that, my friend. i saw that in your earlier post, and it just doesn't make sense to me. i wouldn't think they get carafa any cheaper to make it worth the swap

Yeah the whole thing is very ODD! I looked at the "MALT CHART" on wiki and it says that "carafa I" is used for aromatic/coloring and doesnt say ANYTHING about having the flavor characteristics that "Chocolate" malt has. I'm gonna stay optimistic and hopefully this turns out as a wonderful "Mistake" as those grains were used and are fermenting away now

Yes, they are the same. Or at least, really close enough. The dehusked version is less bitter, and may not be the same exactly, but it still should be unnoticeable in the finished product.

But you still should have got what you ordered/wanted! You didn't happen to go to Hearts Homebrew (or whatever the name is, something with a Heart). I've never been there, but have heard of it by (bad) reputation.

Just out of curiosity why does the Malt Chart on wiki give totally different characteristics between these two malts?

there are a few homebrew shops i've patronized exactly once that are run by apparently clueless, misanthropic fools. how they stay in business is unimaginable.

Get a grain mill, go in and choose the grains yourself at the Home brew store dont let them choose for you. That way you can taste the grains to compare them. Also I find it very helpful to keep my most used grains in stock at my house so I can brew anytime without getting them at the store and I can mill them here at my house.

Get a grain mill, go in and choose the grains yourself at the Home brew store dont let them choose for you. That way you can taste the grains to compare them. Also I find it very helpful to keep my most used grains in stock at my house so I can brew anytime without getting them at the store and I can mill them here at my house.
OP is from 2012.

Back