Hop Pre-Orders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerSpeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wodering where to pre-order hops from ( if anyone is even doing it now)and what places have the best rep....this spring will be my first attempt to grow any!

I'm wodering where to pre-order hops from ( if anyone is even doing it now)and what places have the best rep....this spring will be my first attempt to grow any!

I don't know of anybody that takes pre-orders this early- they just harvested.

Usually, in the spring they start working on the plants and will know what they may have available. I think it's usually about February or March when I see them available for pre-orders.

Another thing to consider is that many of us will be working on our plants in the spring, too. We usually see people from this forum offer up some rhizomes for very cheap, or free with shipping. I may have some hallertauer and cascade myself next spring, if I get out there and do some work.

Keep me in mind for some of those rhizomes, I have some homebrew and bbq sauce I make that I can ship on a trade if anyone is interested! I will gladly pay shipping if not interested in a trade...

Well, I had the best of intentions this past spring, but I'm not really thrilled with the idea of manual labor. :D

I do have some work to do on the cascades and hallertauer, and I'll post up any offers in the spring.

A HBT'er on this forum gave me some centennial and willamette rhizomes last year and so I'd like to "pay it forward".

Alos remember that most places like northern brewer and midwest order their hops from another supplier. Sometimes you can get a better price and quality(due to less handling) from a place like hops direct or freshops.com. I got my centennial from freshops 2 yrs ago and was immensly happy with them. and paid half what i had spent at my lhbs for 2x the quantity

Im pretty new to the whole hobby so please excuse my ignorance. What is the average price for rhizomes?

i think i'll order some starters and grow under lights until planting in march...Has anyone tried this? I wonder how good a hydro system would work?

There are several threads concerning growing hops in hydro systems. Can it work? Yes. Is it the more energy expensive way to grow hops? Undebateably yes. My hops sit in the ground. Then they come up, then i pick them. It's a very energy efficient way to grow hops.

All my plants will definately be in the ground but i was wondering how to get the best head start with these small plants. I am just going to use some grow lights until time to plant...How long do most people let them run? 15-20 feet...

All my plants will definately be in the ground but i was wondering how to get the best head start with these small plants. I am just going to use some grow lights until time to plant...How long do most people let them run? 15-20 feet...

You don't really "let them" run- they just do. They easily go 20-30 feet tall. If you cut them or prune them, they don't produce nearly as much.

Latest posts

Back