Water quality report questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a bad water, but it has quite high alkalinity. The flavor ions are quite low and won't leave you with overdosing of those ions. The alkalinity is a problem and would require treatment to brew anything other than darker styles.

Decarbonation by boiling or lime treatment are options, as is acidification or dilution with RO or distilled water. Be careful with acidification since the amount added will be significant and flavor impacts might be produced. Phosphoric acid is the most flavor neutral acid choice.

This is definitely a water that can be brewed with. Learn more from Bru'n Water.

Thanks. I've been playing around with the EZ Water calculator. I'm brewing Edworts Haus Pale Ale as my first all grain. While playing with the calculator and using 2 gallons of distilled water in my mash and treating my mash water with 5 grams of gypsum, 6 grams of calcium chloride and 4 grams of epsom salt I get my mash pH to about 5.5. (Mashing with 4 gallons and batch sparging with 4 gallons) This also gets my minerals into Palmers recommended ranges, per step 5 of the spreadsheet. Should this be what I'm shooting for? Proper pH and mineral composition? Should I be concerned with the residual and/or effective alkalinty? If so, what should these numbers be?

Thanks again!!

I just went back and checked the EZ water spreadsheet again. With the above additions to my water I get a mash pH of 5.56 and a mash effective alkalinity of 91 and residual alkalinity of -78. Now I'm only making adjustments to my mash water. I'll be sparging with straight tap water. Is this the proper thing to do??

Back