How to fix beer carbed like Champagne.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holycrepe

Reaction score
We brewed a Honeybee Ale kit from Midwest on May 2, bottled on May 14, which looking back, was probably a bit early.

The sample bottles we drank along the way always seemed to be a bit bitter and hard to drink, we put that as to being the honey in the beer that needs time in the bottle from what we read.

Last weekend when we brought a couple over to share with some friends along with other beers we have made, this one was carbed like champagne, a crazy amount of bubbles coming out of the beer as it sits in the glass. and that exact same bite of drinking a cheap Brut champagne as you drink it.

We opened and recapped all the bottles this week hoping that would aleviate the issue earlier this week, and when we brought a few more to another event last night, they still have this issue, not quite as severe, but still not an enjoyable beer.

We only had them uncapped for a couple of minutes, should we of waited longer? is there anything else we can do to lower the carb levels?

I do want to add, that the Cream Ale, Cream Stout, Porter and Pale Ale that we also brought along were all well liked by everyone that likes those types of beers. So we are very happy with our new obsessive hobby!

Well honey shouldn't add any nasty 'bite', though it will dry out a beer since its 99% fermentable (unlike malt).

We need OG and FG at bottling, and how many gallons with how much priming sugar to diagnose things.

Also are you chilling the bottles 48 hours before trying them? Do they foam over, or are just really carb'd?

The first thing I'd try is getting them in the fridge for about a week. Like Malkore said, 48 hrs is sufficient, but once its carbonated, only good can come from long term storage at cooler temeratures.

No foaming, just a heavy champagne like carbonation, they were all chilled for 48-72 hours before opening.

Unfortunately, as it was our 2nd brew, my record keeping wasnt the greatest, I know the OG/FG were both right in the expected ranges of the kit.

I do know that we used the full amount of priming sugar from the kit, but only had 43 bottles due to various issues, so it is likely one of the causes of our over carbonation.

I just need to know options to cure it, the open/recap did help, but we were fearful of letting too much out, so we probably just recapped to quickly. Other that doing that again, just trying to see what other options may be out there.

We are kegging most of our newer beers now, and another plus to that option, is with force carbing it, the Co2 is much easier to manage.

ah I see, overcarbonation, but not a lot of foaming. I'm sure recapping helped, but you don't want to do that over and over again. Your other only real option is to pour the beer ~10 min before you actually want to drink it to allow some CO2 to escape.

that works for us at home, but to share, its not a great option.. i think i will recap a few again to see if it gets better, and then do it for the rest if it works out.

Back