Advice on buying local grapes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimmebeer

Reaction score
I've been making wine from kits for all of a month now and, naturally, feel qualified to make wine from grapes.

OK, I know I sound like a joker, but this is September and we've got local vineyards that produce great grapes. How can I not at least consider it?

My question is: What are the ins and outs of buying local grapes? How much should I expect to pay to a local vineyard that offers tiny amounts for guys like me who want to crank out a carboy or two? I think I heard I could get some local cab or merlot grapes for $1 a pound. Sound fair? They're really nice people, for what it's worth.

As usual, thanks in advance (and I really do appreciate all the help this forum offers me and the rest of us, especially YooperBrew and summersolstice, who truly rock.)

I gotta admire your pluck!

I, too, think that you are ready!

Now let's see, vine ripened grapes for a dollar a pound?

I think that at least half of what supermarket grapes will cost, which are picked green and then ripen enroute to a grocer near you.

I've yet to try this myself, but I've read somewhere that it takes 50 pounds of grapes per gallon of wine.

So for a five gallon recipe, it seems that 250 pounds of grapes will be needed. Plus, I'm thinking that it being the first time and all, maybe get a little extra to cover the inevitable 'oh-oh's' that always happen, especially to firstimers.

I'm excited for you!

I wish that I, too, lived near vineyard country.

Pogo

I think I read somewhere it would take 80-100 pounds for a 5-gallon batch (like I said I still have lots of reading to do). If so, that would make my batch cheaper than the top-of-the-line kits even when you ad in the chemicals. Anyhow, I'll try to plug your enthusiasm into mine and run with it. Thanks.

I think I read somewhere it would take 80-100 pounds for a 5-gallon batch (like I said I still have lots of reading to do).

You're right - it does take about 80 pounds of grapes to make 5 gallons. Grapes are purchased by the "lug" and each lug weighs about 40 pounds.

You'll want to make sure the grapes are ripe so either buy or borrow a refractometer (a device that measures sugar content) to ensure the grapes you're buying are at about 23 brix for red grapes and slightly lower for white.

There's really so much to know when making wine from fresh grapes and there's an online source that many people have found helpful over the years. A gentleman named Lum Eisenman has provided a tutorial that thousands of new winemakers have benefited from. I'd strongly suggest studying it in detail.

Good luck!

I buy the juice already pressed but I read about 18lbs per gallon for grapes, Ken

Latest posts

Back