Quick bottling question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdfj2

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch last night and I have a couple of questions. I heard I can bottle even with the foam from Starsan still in the bottle, will this affect the taste of my beer? And when I used my bottle filler the beer would come out pretty quick and cause it to foam. Will this hurt the beer? I know you really don't want to aerate the beer at this point, so will this be a problem? I'm sure these are dumb questions, but still a n00b. So thanks in advance.

The foam is not a problem at all. If you let the bottles sit upside down on a stand or in a carrier, the majority of the foam seems to drain out anyway. But you don't have to worry about it.

As for using the bottle filler, I am assuming that you are bottle conditioning and filling from a bottle bucket. If you are using a spring loaded wand, there shouldn't be too much worry for oxidation. The foam that you are creating is CO2 coming out of solution anyway so that is a good thing. If you are using a spigot, you can attach a tube to make sure the tubing is near the bottom of the bottle. This will allow the beer to transfer a little more quietly.

1. star san foam won't wreck your beer. i've drank some star san solution, and I've never detected that flavor in my beers.

2. don't open your spigot on the bottling bucket so far. that'll help slow down the filling, and you won't get that rush/splash at the bottom. Try it about half open. it should take 15-20 seconds to fill a bottle (yep, its tedious as hell)

Back