Help with selecting hops in a double batch day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been throwing around the idea of mashing enough grain to provide enough wort to boil 2 - 5 gallon batches.

I decided to do a Blind Pig IPA clone and the malt bill will be based on that. My problem is I don't know what to do with the other half. I was leaning toward a strong pale ale since the gravity will be 1.060. Here is the malt bill:

2-row 88.1%
Cara-Pils 5.1%
C40 3.4%
White Wheat Malt 3.4%

Sorry for the crazy percentages, that is the way it turned out when converting the recipe. Anyways, what do you have for suggestions on a hop schedule?

I am thinking of going a different route with the yeast too and will probably do either WLP002 or WLP007

Forgot to mention, I have quite a bit of hops:

chinook
cascade
willamette
perle
amarillo
US golding
centennial
tettnang
liberty
zues
citra
millenium
nugget
summit
galena
and more I am forgetting in smaller amounts

The Blind pig hop schedule is:

Chinook @ 90
cascade @30
cascade @15
amarillo @ 0
simcoe @ 0
centennial dry
simcoe dry
cascade dry
amarillo dry

For the IPA---first wort hop 1oz of galena, 1oz cascade at 30, .5 oz cascade at 15, dry hop 1oz perle.

For the pale---.5 oz nugget at 60, .5 oz cascade at 30.

Just a suggestion.

I did an IPA with a more aggressive hop schedule than that (by about 1oz) and I ended up cloning Ruination. Blew me away, and everybody else that tasted it.

Try a late addition summit to about 30 IBU. Then dry hop with another 1/4 oz summit and 1/2 oz willamette. Should give you a nice pale with great hop flavor/aroma

That sounds pretty good. I forgot how high alpha summit is. It only takes .75oz at 18.5% thrown in at 30m left to get like 33-34 BUs

I am also thinking about running some of the last running into the Pale boiler before mixing the rest and running into pot so that it comes out a little lower on gravity. So if I am shooting for 1.060 for all 15 gallons, maybe 1.056 for the pale and whatever that leaves the IPA at.

Saturday is the big day for these beers, hopefully I can nail the gravities. I think I will go with beerthirty's suggestion for the APA, I haven't used summit hops in a homebrew yet and want to know what it is like.

Well The brew day went alright, I based the recipe off 81% and had a first wort of 1.098 with a 7 gallon mash(pulled 4.5 gallons out). I thought it was a fluke but the trend continued, I still had a gravity of 1.078 on my first batch sparge with a volume of 4.5 gallons, the 2nd batch sparge finally was down to 1.038 with the same 4.5 gallons.

After doing all the math and putting in a couple more gallons for a third batch sparge I ended up with a whole lot of wort that was still above what my preboil was suppose to be.

I was planning on having 5.5 gallons of 1.060 and 5.5 gallons of 1.052 wort but ended up with 8 gallons of 1.066 and 5.5 gallons of 1.053.

I have to run the number but man I think I will have to start basing the recipes on a little higher efficiency.

Back