PSI limit for a hollow pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
So... I am thinking next year for October I am going to do a pumpkin beer as a real ale served out of a pumpkin. My only concern is how much pressure a hollowed out pumpkin can hold before it explodes. I do like to plan ahead. Does anyone have any data on this? Perhaps I need to do an experiment this fall?

The PSI rating of a pumpkin is directly proportional to the wall thickness and inversely proportional to the size of the pumpkin.

I think some empirical data is required to develop the exact relationship.

Please post videos of your tests.

Strength of the pumpkin, besides the measure of wall thickness, is also a function of the moisture regime during the pumpkins growth.

I would keep the PSI low for serving, if I would try to do this.

Strength of the pumpkin, besides the measure of wall thickness, is also a function of the moisture regime during the pumpkins growth.

I would keep the PSI low for serving, if I would try to do this.

Since this is for a real ale (and I am assuming you have a hand pump) could you not carb in the keg and then decant into the pumpkin and hookup the hand pump with no extra gas... just like the real thing... although in a pumpkin :D

Back