Second batch in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my second batch, a "Hop Devil" Clone kit I purchased at my LHBS. It was a partial grain.

Everything went pretty smooth. I gave my smack pack ((Wyeast #1056 American Ale) a whack at about 9:30 am and then got started with my brewing around 10:30. I prepared all my equipment then started to steep the grains.
After removing the grains and then bringing that liquid to a boil and adding the extract, then returning to a boil and adding the bittering hops, quite awhile had passed. It was now 12:35.
The only problem I had was that I left the bottled water in the trunk of the car and at 98 degrees here it got pretty hot. I placed it in the fridge and forgot about it. When I added it to the fermenter it was way too cold (well so I thought with my limited experience) for the 70-75 degrees recommended by Wyeast to pitch.
I had only enough water to top off to close to 4 gals so I sent my son out for 2 more gals. Meanwhile I shook the crap out of the fermenter.
I brought it to 5 gallons, took a reading and my OG was 1.046. I covered it then shook the fermenter again and added the yeast. The temp was 74 degrees.
I removed the lid, put the airlock on and then replaced the lid, added water to the airlock and put the fermenter in the basement. The time was 3:15. Now for the wait!
I felt it went smooth. Much better then my first batch. It smelled fantastic and I could tell it was a more complexed brew right away.

Here is the recipe:

4 lb. Alexanders Pale Malt Extract
3 1/2 lb. Bierkeller Light Malt Extract
1/2 lb. Weyermann Munich Malt 6? L
1/2 lb. Durst Crystal Malt 40? L
1/2 lb. Weyermann Caramunich III 70? L
1/2 lb. Muntons Carapils 20? L
2 oz. Perle Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Cascade Hops (Flavoring)
1 oz. Tettnang Hops (Flavoring)
2 oz. Cascade Hops (Finishing)
Wyeast # 1056XL American Ale

Steep grains for 30 minutes (remove)
Add Bittering hops (Perle) at start of boil.
Add flavoring hops at 45 minutes (Cascade and Tettnang)
Add finishing hops at 55 minutes (Cascade)
Remove from heat at 60 minutes
Cool and add Wyeast # 1056 American Ale

Done deal!

Tommy

1056 is a great yeast for the style beer your using. Have some in my Sierra Nevada PA (SNPA) clone I'm doing right now. Recipe similar to your above post.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11225

Your cascade/tettnang are going to be tasty as a flavor hop!

I racked to secondary at 7days. At 17days the fermenting has slowed significantly, but still some bubbles in the carboy. I'm finishing at a lower temp though...around 64deg. Soon....

Sounds like your going to get a good brew.

Next time, boil anything that goes into the carboy and touches your wort...a pain, but you don't have to worry about the stray microbe here and there. That bottled water should be sanitary though. Your "bottled water" spring water or RO/DI water?

Get ready for some vigorous fermentation activity w/in 24hrs depending on your fermentation temp. ...possibly some good blow-off. I had about a 3hr lag time, 8hrs of good vigorous fermentation, followed by 24hrs or so of pretty good blow-off.

Exo said:
Next time, boil anything that goes into the carboy and touches your wort...a pain, but you don't have to worry about the stray microbe here and there. That bottled water should be sanitary though. Your "bottled water" spring water or RO/DI water?

Spring water.

Get ready for some vigorous fermentation activity w/in 24hrs depending on your fermentation temp. ...possibly some good blow-off. I had about a 3hr lag time, 8hrs of good vigorous fermentation, followed by 24hrs or so of pretty good blow-off.

I had to get up at 3 am for work so I was in bed by 8pm. There was no activity yet at that point ( 4 hours 45 minutes since pitching) but at 3 am it was bubbling every 2 seconds with a nice perk sound that I heard from 10 feet away.
Not being home until 4:30 pm today has me concerned about the lid blowing off and not being around to tend to it!!

We've been in a heat wave here so the temp in my basement has been 75 to 76 degrees. The fermenter reads 74 (stick on thermometer).

Tommy

Latest posts

Back