Beersnob's pilsener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballzac

Reaction score
Newest version:
beersonob_s_very_final_5.jpg

Just created this label for my pilsener. Beersnob's is my fictional brewery. The caracature on the label was found on google. I will get my dad to draw me a new one as he is an artist, but I guess it doesn't really matter as it is only for personal use.

First version:
beersonob_s_final_4.jpg

I'd love some feedback from you guys. I think a lot of people here are right on the money when it comes to evaluating a good label. I know it's only for me and my friends, but I actually believe that the look of a bottle greatly influences the percieved flavour of the poured drink, particularly for those who didn't make it. Like I think if I pull a bottle out without a label and say, "here, try my homebrew," the general consensus will not be as positive as if the bottle looks a little professional.

EDIT: I just realised there is a member here called beer snob. Hope my brewery name isn't off limits. Also. I have been working on the label a bit more. I'm stretching it horizontally because I found it looked too narrow as it curved around the bottle. Also have gotten rid of the multicoloured name and replaced it with one bronze color. Will work on it a bit more and post what I have done when I think it's right.

Is it suppose to be "Fuzzy" or did the image quality degrade when you merged the layers and saved to a .jpg?

No. It's not meant to be fuzzy. The original is slightly fuzzy from resizing, but it's not THAT fuzzy. Also, there is a bit of cleaning up I have to do, like a smudged bit on the top left, I think that increases the fuzzy look.

This is where I am with it at the moment.
beersonob_s_very_final_4.jpg

I think the title is much better, but I'm not sure if it integrates well with the rest of the label. Also don't know if the ribbon suits it, but needed something to soften the edge of the silver bit.

I like the base label component, but word "pilsener" (and "beersnob's" in the second rendition) seem to clash with the style. The oval and picture are done in earthy tones (which looks great, kinda stuffy, so it fits the theme) but the added text is brighter and less, well, earthy.

I like the "beersnob" font in the second label, but lose the blue ribbon and metal-looking text box.

Also, is "pilsener" or more proper spelling than "pilsner"? They seem pretty interchangeable, but I really don't know.

I think you're right about the ribbon and the text box. I'm just not sure how to have the title there without it. And it gives a good contrast for the title to stand out against. I think i will keep the pilsener font/colour though, because I feel the style of beer is almost like an afterthought on the label, and each label will be the same but with different styles written in different fonts/colours. As far as spelling goes, I think they are completely interchangable. The place is called plzen AFAIK.

Just thinking a bit more about the font for pilsener, maybe there is a way to integrate it better but keep that 'scrawled on' kinda look.

Yeah, sorry. I had it like that in my first version but I edited it out. I put it back in as you can see in my first post. I also added my newest version to the top of the first post. I took febtober's advice on the pilsener font, and might still tweak it more. I think the way I have it now is much better, but there's always room for improvement. I want the 'beersnobs' to be horizontal, to make the name instantly readable, but I need something behind it, so that I have something to cut out (if you know what I mean). I think I can still improve on it, maybe the silver background needs to be slightly bigger (the elliptical part) or a different shade. But I think it is workable.

Looking at everything it looks like the whole thing is the logo. How bout condense it down a bit.. kinda maybe like this..

snob1.jpg

That way you can have room to put info about your beer. I think the snob image is great cause you can theme him out ( ie but a stocking cap on him for the holidays or a sombrero ..lots of stuff).

I think a beersnob beer would have a very snob like name like

Totally Pretentious Pilsner

or

50 point (Yes It Really is 50 points) Pilsner

Just my 2cents

Awesome ideas man. Will have to think about the label. I could do something like that for the back. I was thinking a scroll/parchment type thing, and I think that would go well with the logo the way you've done it.

Back