4 .oz fruit flavoring strength?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Im trying a fruit beer and wondering if the 4.oz flavoring may be too much. I do not want my beer to taste like snapple, just a hint. Im sure its prolly all prep, but anyone have any suggestions or answers?

All I can tell you is my experience with apricot extract. I used 2oz for 5 gallons and it made a delicious beer. The apricot was definitely noticeable, and I suspect if I used twice as much it'd be too much.

-Joe

All I can tell you is my experience with apricot extract. I used 2oz for 5 gallons and it made a delicious beer. The apricot was definitely noticeable, and I suspect if I used twice as much it'd be too much.

-Joe

Thanks for that. I was thinking of cutting it in half.

I would personally just take a few measured samples of your beer and then add in a premeasured amount of extract into the sample. Based on the size of your sample and the amount of extract you put into the beer, you can figure out how much the entire batch needs. Kinda like wine, it may take a few different samples before you find the right balance between the beer and the fruit flavors.

I used about 3oz for 5 gallons in my last flavored beer and it was quite strong at first. After about 1-2 months of conditioning, it goes down smooth and tastes wonderful. You may notice that for the first few weeks after being bottled, your beer tastes like fruit extract. Just let it sit for a little while longer and those flavors should subside nicely for you.

Latest posts

Back