Dead Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dec

Reaction score
So I decided to throw together batch #2, a Franz all extract clone last night since my primary became available with my Kolsch being moved to my secondary. I made a mistake of starting my brewing at 10:00pm and didn't finish until 1ish. I have a wallpaper tray of san star and hot water I use for everything while I'm brewing and at some point in very early I threw my WLP300 yeast into it not thinking about what the temp of the water was. Probably wasn't too bad but I honestly don't remember until now looking back.

I let the wort cool till I saw just below 80 on my dial thermometer which I'm really thinking is not very accurate. I tossed it into my primary bucket and back and forth once. And then tossed my liquid yeast white labs wlp300 in. This morning on the way out to work about a half hour ago there was zero activity. I have my bucket upstairs where it's reading about 72 on the stickon thermometer outside on the bucket and the air temp is 68. I'll probably move it to the basement where it's 62 down there since it seems a little warm.

So how long should I give it to show activity before tossing in another yeast container? The problem I face is I'm leaving town for the weekend tonight so I have to make a decision one way or another then.

You need do give a lot more time. You didn't make a starter so your lag time will be extended. Give it 72 hours before you think about pitching more yeast.

You need do give a lot more time. You didn't make a starter so your lag time will be extended. Give it 72 hours before you think about pitching more yeast.
Alright thanks, I guess I'll have to let it sit all weekend while I'm gone and hope when I get back Sunday night it's dancing.

First, fermentation can take up to 72 hours for the yeasties to start, it's called lag time. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Secondly if you mean airlock bubbling" as a sign of fermentation, then you have to realize that airlock activity is not an accurate indication of fermentation...an airlock is a vent for excess co2, nothing more...

Read this...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

And relax.....

RELAX?! Are you kidding!? Beer is at stake here man! Yea, I guess the lesson learned is don't start a brew at 10:30pm on a weekday and wake up a few hours later sleep deprived and worried about your brew :)

Another reason is I did a hydrometer reading last night thinking, yea man! I'm going to be on top of this bad boy. The reading was something ridiculous and I was thinking that doesn't look right at all. So I added my yeast and was moving my primary and noticed It was just below the 4gal mark....oops. I forgot to add water to top it off before taking a reading and then I had added the yeast when I caught it so figured I didn't want to mess with it and just topped it off to 5gal and chalked it up to lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back