Beetroot Wine - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digital_biscuit

Reaction score
Hi All

I am new to the forum, so firstly, Hi to all!!

I started my first beetroot wine the other day, to the beet juice i added 1kg sugar, juice of 1 lemon and the yeast, forgot the yeast nutruent but added this the next day. It started fermenting, but then after 3-4 days fermentation stopped. The liquid is still heavily sugared! There is a nice sediment at the bottom so fermentation has occured just not completed, any advice on why this stopped and how i can get it going again?

Thanks in advance!!

DigiB

I used a young's all purpose red. The SG is quite high, i dont know off hand, i have tasted it though and it is sickly sweet!! Thanks for the response

Well, without knowing the SG or the amount of fermentables, I'd suggest repitching a champagne yeast. Either Red Star champagne yeast, or Lalvin EC-1118. They would be less likely to be overcome by the alcohol already present, and should be able to get to work on the sugars in there.

What size batch are you making?

It could stop for several reasons- a temperature change, yeast that aren't fresh or able to reproduce, too high of an alcohol content for the yeast strain, etc.

You could also try keeping it a bit warmer- wine yeast strains often like to be in the 70s, which isn't usually possible in the winter for me. If you can get it to the high 60s, though, it might get it going again.

I have it in the airing cupboard. It is at about 77, im in the UK so not sure if my conversion from 25 celcius is correct...

Latest posts

Back