AG kits, who uses them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
I like the freedom that going all grain gives me, but some times I just want to brew and not have to think up a recipe first. I'm thinking about just doing kits for a while and just refine my process since I've got all this new equipment and I'm almost at the point where I can do 10g batches. Any one else just grab a kit that looks good and try it out?

I like to purchase kits when they make financial sense or when it's something thats unique and more complex with special ingredients. For instance I recently purchased the Pliny the Elder kit from AHB because there was a great special price on it. I also have my eye on the Stone Stout kit from morebeer which comes with cocoa nibs for bittering (also on sale now). This is when kits attract me but I understand your reasoning for it as well.

I like to pick up a kit every once in a while just to switch it up and try someone else's recipe. Plus, everything comes together and makes brew day just a little bit easier.
I think it is a good idea if you are trying out new equipment.

i've often wondered how these "kits" take into account your system's efficiency?

I brewed a NB hefe kit and thought it was good. Kits are nice but I personally like looking on HBT for recipes and reading feedback that gives me a better idea what the recipe will turn out like.

Bought one kit from MoreBeer and the final product was darn good. However the hops were completely different from the original kit due to shortages. I decided that one kit for the experience was fine and now just use recipes and make my own adjustments from those to tweak to my likes. Eventually I will create my own recipes but until then no kits.

Just did a Red Hook ESB All Grain for under $30 for 10 gallons - can't do that with a kit.

If you just want to brew and not dork around with recipes, then kits are the way to go. If they're from a reputable source (morebeer, AHS, etc.) then the kits should give you a good recipe for the style you're looking for. I also think they're great for teaching you about the characteristics that different grains/hops/yeast add to the flavor and ultimately help you formulate your own recipes if you pay attention.

Kits are great! I like doing clone kits. I rarely do the same beer, so I'll buy something that sounds interesting.

If you just want to brew and not dork around with recipes, then kits are the way to go.

You can brew without kits and not worry about recipes. 90% of the stuff I brew is from either Orfy, EdWort, Biermuncher, or somebody else on this forum.

I brewed a NB American Amber AG kit that is good. I couldn't help thinking that I could have just bought the grains & hops for the same recipie and saved $ over buying the kit.

sorry, let me rephrase... kits are "one" way to go.

They do let you order a recipe with a single click though. Try doing that with a recipe you find here on HBT.

And for the record, I've only ordered a few kits myself. I kind of like dorking around with recipes. :D

Every AG batch I have done has been a kit. Im either just plain lazy or lack creativity (or balls) to buy grain/hops in bulk and create my own recipes. I may get adventurous one day, but for now the simplicity of kits works for me.
-Me

Check out the recipe section of Brewmasters Warehouse. You can order any recipe people have uploaded. He even offers most of Edwort's recipes as "kits". All recipes are customizable using the Brew Builder 2.0. That means you pick a recipe (kit) and can scale it up or down, adjust for you efficiency, add or remove ingredients etc. Its absolutely great. When you order a recipe, it comes with all the grains in one bag. You can also tell them whether you want it milled or not.

Check out the recipe section of Brewmasters Warehouse. You can order any recipe people have uploaded. He even offers most of Edwort's recipes as "kits". All recipes are customizable using the Brew Builder 2.0. That means you pick a recipe (kit) and can scale it up or down, adjust for you efficiency, add or remove ingredients etc. Its absolutely great. When you order a recipe, it comes with all the grains in one bag. You can also tell them whether you want it milled or not.

I brewed a few Midwest kits before I found Brewmaster's warehouse. The brew builder lets you enter a recipe and purchase it just like a kit.

That is great, as long as you trust the recipe. I've made some stinkers that were supposedly proven recipes.

I havent bought a kit yet. Thought about it, but figured why buy a kit everytime and not know what the recipe is. Kinda like buying canned soup.

Personaly i like to make my own recipes. I will look at 3-5 recipes on somethin i am looking to make...To get an idea of what some people have done...and then i fire up beersmith and have fun.....

No matter what, It wants to be beer.

The only kits I've bought were from AHS. They include the ingredients list. I even posted up their Blue Moon recipe on here for others to use. It's turned out really good every time I've brewed it.

Anybody ever figured out what the cost difference is for the convienience of a kit (versus ordering the individual quantities?). I know you can save money by buying grain in bulk but for me (a new AG newbie) I want to get my feet wet with a bunch of different recipies and don't mind paying a dollar or two for the convienience.

Anybody ever figured out what the cost difference is for the convienience of a kit (versus ordering the individual quantities?). I know you can save money by buying grain in bulk but for me (a new AG newbie) I want to get my feet wet with a bunch of different recipies and don't mind paying a dollar or two for the convienience.

AHS just charges for the ingredients. Not sure about the others, but I doubt they add a surcharge.

Latest posts

Back