Beer Hangover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dehydration and low vitamin & mineral concentration are the 2 biggest causes of a hang over. The liver has to create an enzyme to break down the alcohol in your blood stream. That enzyme (Alcohol dehydrogenases) is made by combining different vitamins and minerals stored and the human body. If you don't replace those depleted elements you can end up hung over. Taking a multi-vitiamin that contains a b-complex as well as zinc, calcium, magnisum, and potasium before you start a session will go a long way to help minimize a hang over. and by taking before you start you dont have to try and remember in your drunken stooper.

the tea statement rings some bells.
Federal Prisons just removed green tea because it detoxifies too quickly.
Next person on a bender, give green tea a try.
Before/After, whatever.
I would but my 2 month old son needs to be fed every 3 hours.

QsnotPs said:
the tea statement rings some bells.
Federal Prisons just removed green tea because it detoxifies too quickly.
Next person on a bender, give green tea a try.

That's cool. Can you please elaborate on this?

One thing I forgot to mention, I experimented with Vitamin K a few years back, if I took a vitamin (recommended dosage) which had vitamin K in it, the morning of the day I drank (in the evening) I got drunk quickly, and the hangovers were terrible, I refuse to take that stuff. From what I have researched you do not need it anyways, your liver naturally produces it, the only time you need supplementation is if you have scerosis of the liver.

Excedrin and a big glass of water. The only problem is remembering to take it before passing out.

If I recall, most Excedrin's have Acetaminophen - bad for your liver to take before or after you've been drinking. Plain aspirin is better.

Rev.

I don't get hangovers very easily. I remember when I was 16 I drank 25 (exactly 25) Coors Lights and I had a dream I was choking and couldn't breathe...well long story short that wasn't a dream. I stick to a 6 pack usually now days.

Anyway besides lots of water and being well rested I don't know of anything to prevent a hangover.

I do have something I do when I have a slight bit of one though:

1 Jigger hard liquor (I prefer vodka for this)
1 ibuprofen crushed
1/2 oz liquid nyquill
1/2 oz peptol bismol
Mix to combine, hold your nose, pray for the best and go back to bed.

on removing tea from federal prisons, I don't know any more than that, just know people in different places, they say tea was removed because the inmates pass their drug tests, every time.

I remember reading an article that stated there are FIVE WAYS TO CURE A HANGOVER....

(1) bananas - replaces the potassium that you lose after frequent urinating
(2) eggs - protein?
(3) greasy foods - can't remember the logic here, but I guess it has to do with fats? perhaps this is the only real way to absorb the alcohol, lessing its impact, similar to how people thought bread cured hangovers in the past??
(4) orange juice - anything with lots of vitamin c should do, tho.
(5) water - obviously, this is the biggest concern with a hangover. alcohol repels water... so when your brain starts repelling its water supply, then it will eat your soul noon the next day.

This list has helped me on a number of occasions. Typically, just one large glass of water before hitting the sack will leave me feeling "normal" when waking up, while others around me are punching themselves in the head to lessen the pain from their hangovers.

TL;DR - Waffle House is the #1 cure for hangovers.

Tried something new last night after reading through this post the other day. I took a Super B Complex vitamin with Vitamin C and a benadryl. I slept like a baby and woke up with no hangover. I'm glad I did this as reading about the tylenol, advil, etc. damaging your liver had me worried.

Back