Way too much peated malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withanx

Reaction score
So I had a recipe that called for 1lb smoked malt (16lb grain bill, 5 gallon batch). When I asked for it at my LHBS the guy pulled down 5 buckets of different "smoked" malt and asked which one I wanted. I gave them a wiff and went with the peated. When pouring my grain I realized that I probably made a big mistake. The smokey flavor was overpowering through the whole brew day. What do you guys think, is the beer ruined? Is there anything I can do to mellow it out?

P.S It's a "white stout", and I will be steeping cocoa nibs and coffee beans in it after fermentation.

Is there anything I can do to mellow it out?

Yes. Wait until you have a finished product and then panic. Finished product is usually very different from what you have in the kettle. You've got some other strong flavors going in as well. The balance may turn out right in the end.

I enjoy a really peaty Islay Scotch like Laphroaig, I need to try making a beer with "overdone" peated malt.

But yeah, time is your best friend. No sense worrying until you need to, and even then, more time in the bottle to age may help.

i would never go over 4oz of peated malt. Ive found ti doesnt fade out so you can only hope the end product tastes different but at a full pound, I highly doubt it

I have 2 pounds sitting in the cupboard I'm afraid to use. After researching how much to use, I'm non the wiser. Some say an ounce or two, others say way more. Even the maltster crawled under a rock when I asked how much to use in beer. If anyone has tips...

4 ozs in a Porter makes a great Smoked Porter. Very evident, and for some it is too much.

I don't know what 1 lb would do. I wouldn't even consider it. Please report back.

i've used it a few times, but only 2-4 oz. be aware peat malt and rauchmalt (smoked malt) ARE NOT the same thing. i think your recipe called for rauchmalt, NOT peat malt. 1 lb peat? :pipe:

If you like Laphroaig or Lagavulin you might be alright. I did something similar once, it was 6 oz of peated malt, but in a 2 gallon batch. I also used a lot of English crystal malts, low bitterness, no late hops, and mashed it at 160 to keep it super full. And then added oak I'd been soaking in Laphroaig. My goal was to bring out an Islay single malt in beer form, and that's how it came out. People who liked smoked Scotch loved it, everyone else hated it. So I would expect the same.

If you like Laphroaig or Lagavulin you might be alright. I did something similar once, it was 6 oz of peated malt, but in a 2 gallon batch. I also used a lot of English crystal malts, low bitterness, no late hops, and mashed it at 160 to keep it super full. And then added oak I'd been soaking in Laphroaig. My goal was to bring out an Islay single malt in beer form, and that's how it came out. People who liked smoked Scotch loved it, everyone else hated it. So I would expect the same.

Nice, I have to try this. What OG did you shoot for?

Back