Cinnamon sticks...how much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
Looking for some advice from folks who use cinnamon relatively often in their browns, porters, or stouts to provide some advice.

I do a rotating imperial milk stout series and for this batch I’m aiming for a Mexican Hot Chocolate/latte flavor profile using vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, coffee, and cinnamon. I’m very familiar brewing with the first 3 but cinnamon I’ve only used 2 times—a pumpkin ale and winter warmer—both very early on in my brewing (probably 5 years ago). I’m going to make a 4 oz tincture with 2 vanilla beans and the plan is two cinnamon sticks (the short, tight sticks).
Does this sound reasonable or should I drop it to 1?

Fwiw, I am not looking for cinnamon to take over, just for it to play a firm supportive role

Last edited:
Kegged a Christmas Stout last week. Added coco nibs, Hazelnut and 2 cinnamon sticks. It turned out great, not exactly what I was shooting for but my wife really likes it. I am my harshest critic. The cinnamon is very pronounced, definitely will cut back to one next time. Hope this helps!

Kegged a Christmas Stout last week. Added coco nibs, Hazelnut and 2 cinnamon sticks. It turned out great, not exactly what I was shooting for but my wife really likes it. I am my harshest critic. The cinnamon is very pronounced, definitely will cut back to one next time. Hope this helps!
Thanks brother. That’s the exact type of info I was looking for!

I've only dropped 2-3 sticks in the last 5 minutes or so in the boil for a christmas beer I do just about every year (except this year!) I've never made an tincture from the sticks so I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

Thanks brother. That’s the exact type of info I was looking for!
I used half stick to "dry spice" my Christmas quad together with some other spices, it was a 1 gallon batch and I would say it was on point, it wasn't noticeable in the sense that you could pick which spices were in there, but it certainly added to the overall flavour

EDIT: I crushed all the spices before adding them

Latest posts

Back