Cider has odor and slight aftertaste of bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My last few batches of cider have had a slight odor and aftertaste of bread.

I've had trouble with getting them to clear also.

I'm using store bought apple juice (pasteurized without preservatives), English cider yeast with corn sugar added. I always use pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. I usually age for a minimum of 4 months and a maximum of 8. Lately though I've been aging less because I'm throwing out the ones that I don't like and have to move others up in the rotation.

Could this be because of the store bought apple juice? I use different brands all the time and don't have one that I stick with. Maybe it's time to pick a favorite and stop being a cheapskate.

Any ideas on how I can rescue my batches? I have 10 gallons kegged and chilled that have this problem. I really don't want to toss them!

What kind of "odor" are you getting? Vinegar, Sulfur, Banana, Armpit, McDonald's Bathroom? Is it a bad odor or just out of place?

Yes, bread. Don't know how else to describe it.

I just has a slight bread taste and smell. It doesn't have the usual crisp apple taste that I am used to.

I assume not. White Labs says 68-75ºF and Wyeast says 60-75ºF for their English Cider Yeasts. You are on the higher end of the scale so it's possible it's the cause of the off flavors. I typically ferment at around 60-62ºF because when active fermentation is taking place...it usually jumps up to around 70ºF. If your ambient temp was 74º, it's possible you could have pushed 80ºF for a couple of days.

my experience with bread smell and aftertaste and cloudiness was i needed to let it sit longer, it didn't want to clear completely either. i didn't check on a regular basis but after 6 months it was very minor and at 9 months the bread smell and taste had gone away but it was still cloudy.

Back