Long cider fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinbrew

Reaction score
New to cider making but have made several batches of beer. Started fermentation on this 2.5 gallon bactch 16 days ago and it still has a kraeusen like head--if it were beer. I didn't take records of the OG but i added 2 pounds of brown sugar and 1 cup white sugar so I'm sure it's high. I used nottingham ale yeast but didn't realize it wasn't dry cider until after I pitched. I know that it will stop fermenting after 8% but i also want to get this in a secondary. When should i rack? I wanted to have at least 8 days in secondary and 6 days in bottles all by 3/26. Now I will be patient with this and if it is suggested I wait until all fermentation stops and my finish date of 3/26 needs to be delayed, so be it. Am I on track?

You could try cold crashing and then racking to secondary. I would take a hydrometer reading, and a taste test. I would be concerned about bottling too soon though and getting bottle bombs.
Ciders can take up to a month to finish primary fermentation, I just racked one after 32 days to primary, and will not be bottling for another month at least, but one of the 5 gallon batches will probably end up on tap.

In my experience slower fermentation = better cider. Be patient, let it finish and let it condition.

+1

Cider needs patience in fermenting, similar to mead (not quite as long though). IIRC, cooler fermenting temperatures help keep solventy alcoholic flavors at bay.

Cider is like BBQ. Low and slow. I ferment mine using S04 at 45-50deg. Takes 2-3 weeks to hit the FG that I like (1.020). 4-5 weeks if I want to make a dry cider.

Cider is different from beer in that the sugars available are like a buffet of crack cocaine to the yeast. slowing them down is better, otherwise they go insane and create all sorts of 'stress' flavors.

You could try cold crashing and then racking to secondary. I would take a hydrometer reading, and a taste test. I would be concerned about bottling too soon though and getting bottle bombs.
Ciders can take up to a month to finish primary fermentation, I just racked one after 32 days to primary, and will not be bottling for another month at least, but one of the 5 gallon batches will probably end up on tap.

+1 to this. Hydro and taste it first. With that much sugar you are likely that it will not finish before 30 days. Most of the ciders that I have done finish between 25-45 days for a dry cider. After fermentation has finished I rack to a secondary and let sit for 3+ months until it has mellowed. The longer it sits in the secondary the better.

I know that 2 pounds of sugar in 5 gallons is about ~7.5% so my guess is that you are looking at 10% if you let this ferment out to 1.00 or -. For my tastes

I have the general guide of
.990 - 1.005 = Dry Cider
1.010 - 1.015 = Semi-Sweet Cider
1.020 - 1.025 = Sweet Cider

Yes there are gaps but I think that is blurring between styles. I'm also interested in anyone's opinion of these ranges.

If you want to bottle and you want it ready by 3/26 I think you should hydro+taste. If it is around 1.010 - 1.030 and tastes good you should cold crash it for 3 days than rack it and crash it for another week. Kill the yeast off with potassium sorbate and bottle (back-sweeten if you want). Theoretically you could rack it every 3-4 days and that would remove all the yeast but I've never tried it. I don't think there is a way you are going to get a sparkling cider in this time frame without kegging.

I used nottingham ale yeast but didn't realize it wasn't dry cider until after I pitched.

Cider, regardless of what yeast you use, wants to be dry. It takes methods and/or chemicals to make it sweet.

Also, if you make a sweet cider without using artificial sweeteners and then want to carb without a keg, consider each and every bottle a bomb. That is, a naturally (sugar or juice) sweet cider will explode if bottle conditioned without pasteurizing.

Great info everyone! I think I need to experiment more. Going to buy another keg system today--it's a win-win for all. Cider on tap, beer in future, happy visitors.

Just as an update, I racked to a secondary Sunday and placed in my 50 degree beer fridge and will leave there until Sunday when I begin force carb.

Back