Is it mold ? - Baby scoby with dark blue not fury spot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flb

Reaction score
Hi everybody !

I started a week ago my first kombucha ever. 7 days later, I looked at it. It looks normal, but there is a dark blue part.

I don't know if it's mold because :

1 - It's not fuzzy of fury
2 - It is not over the scoby, but like... in it.
3 - The kombucha smells normal
4 - The baby and the mother scoby looks healthy and normal.

The dark blue part is inside the baby scoby, that looks like a plastic film.

My tea recipe is : gunpowder + sencha + hybiscus + orange flowers
It is growing in a glass jar that I sterelized first in boiling water (for 10 minutes) like I usually do with my masson jar for ketchup and jams.
The jar is in an open closet.

Thank you for your advice !
:ban:

how did you start the kombucha? With another already fermented bottle of kombucha? with a SCOBY from another source?

if its not fuzzy or furry your good. Could just be some dead yeast. Careful with any oils that may be in the hybiscus/orange flowers. good luck!

I've read before from many different sources that you are not supposed to add any flavorings (fruit, spices, flowers, etc) with the SCOBY still in the liquid. You are supposed to let the SCOBY do its thing for a week or two, take it out and then add your flavorings.

The recipe I use (made by the same vegan busyness that sold me the scoby) says that I can put flavoring with the first batch. But now, I know it's a mistake. Next one is gonna be only bio tea and sugar.

Back