Another FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlRed

Reaction score
I brewed the extract version of Yooper's DFH 60 Min IPA and I bottled it yesterday. I followed the recipe exactly and let it go 10 days in primary and 7 days in secondary at around 61*F for each. The OG was 1.080 and FG was 1.021. My thoughts were that the FG still seems a little high even though in Yooper's AG recipe she listed an expected FG of 1.017. I'm not overly concerned but I just wanted to get other folk's opinions.

Has the FG been consistent over a couple days? It's common for extract recipes to stop around 1.020 and, besides, you're only 4 points off. If the FG stays where it is, I'd say it's done.

because of my work schedule i wasn't able to take a FG for multiple days (i know i should have). I realize that airlock activity is no judge of fermentation but i was without ANY airlock activity for the last 6-7 days of primary and 4-5 days of secondary fermentation. I'm just wondering if some of you experienced brewers think of the possibility of bombs. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

... i was without ANY airlock activity for the last 6-7 days of primary and 4-5 days of secondary fermentation. I'm just wondering if some of you experienced brewers think of the possibility of bombs. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Not only is an airlock a very poor indicator of activity, remember how often you're not observing it directly. What seems like 5 days of no activity is just as possibly 5 days of no activity [I[that you saw[/I]. (unless it's an uncommon noisy airlock, it could well be bubbling now and again when you're not within earshot)

If you're worried, put it in a keg, instead of bottles. If that's not an option; (you'll hate me, but...) open one in a week, and one a few days after that. (you'll have to drink beer. Here, lemme twist your arm)

If either are significantly 'over' carbonated, move them to a bomb shelter. (alternately, open the lot, pour them into a sanitized carboy/alepail and let them go a bit)

So is a FG of 1.021 unusually high or is it reasonable? i've never brewed a "bigger" beer before so I don't have any previous experience to fall back on...

1.021 is normal for extract. take another reading tomorrow and go from there. if it's the same, as i expect, bottle. if not, wait a few more days

Not only is an airlock a very poor indicator of activity, remember how often you're not observing it directly. What seems like 5 days of no activity is just as possibly 5 days of no activity [I[that you saw[/I]. (unless it's an uncommon noisy airlock, it could well be bubbling now and again when you're not within earshot)

If you're worried, put it in a keg, instead of bottles. If that's not an option; (you'll hate me, but...) open one in a week, and one a few days after that. (you'll have to drink beer. Here, lemme twist your arm)

If either are significantly 'over' carbonated, move them to a bomb shelter. (alternately, open the lot, pour them into a sanitized carboy/alepail and let them go a bit)

I've noticed green beers often seem more carbonated than they actually are (and have seen this echoed many a time on this forum). May not be the best indicator. I'd recommend just putting them in a bomb shelter to be safe, and not waste a couple potentially good beers testing them. After the standard 3 weeks, put em in the fridge a week (if it hasn't bombed yet, I'd think a week in the fridge would prevent one anyway) and then open with care after that. Most of my past extract batches have ended in the high teens/low 20s, so I think you're most likely okay.

Latest posts

Back