Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelAngus

Reaction score
Made my first batch of Cyser.
It may technically be apple wine with honey.

6lbs clover honey (2.33/lb @ BJ's)
3 Gallons of Maine apple cider
4 cans frozen apple juice concentrate
1lb raisins (trader Joe's)
Approximately 2 gallons water.
Lavlin D47

OG was about 1.1
Maybe a hair lower.

Made my first batch of Cyser.
It may technically be apple wine with honey.

6lbs clover honey (2.63/lb @ BJ's)
3 Gallons of Maine apple cider
4 cans frozen apple juice concentrate
1lb raisins (trader Joe's)
Approximately 2 gallons water.
Lavlin D47

OG was about 1.1
Maybe a hair lower.

Sounds good I make my cyser with clover honey and brown sugar and also add some mulling spices, you may want to use white raisins but that is personal preferance. How long are you keeping it in the primary? I normally do about 2 weeks then rack it off and top it off with honey water. Let us know how it turns out
:mug:

I planned on racking it to secondary about a week after pitching. I can hold off another week, though. My Black Mead sat in primary for 16 days, but is now in secondary in my closet on an exterior wall of the house. (It's about 63 in there, 66 in my bedroom where I let my primary go.)

I used regular raisins, but I'll try white with mulling spices next time. Its always nice to compare different recipes to find one that best suites my taste buds.

For the honey I brought the water to a boil, added the honey and simmered for about 15 minutes skimming the proteins off the top.

[EDIT]

Lies, all lies. I can't wait another week to rack this because I need the fermentor in a day or three. My ex just bought me a 3 large watermelons and 4 mini me watermelons. She wants some of my strawberry wine, and I told her the only way was to buy me enough stuff to make 5 gallons of watermelon wine.

I'm betting that a couple of days at room temp will bring the melons to peak flavor, much more could lead to off flavors and rotting melons.

I broke down and bought another primary for my watermelon. I'll rack my strawberry into gallon jugs to clear and use the better bottle that its in for my cyser's secondary.

I think this will happen Tuesday.

Racked to secondary on 2/24.
There was an almost cinnamon nose during racking, which is odd because I used no spices.

Back