question on Mini Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
Ok, so I have done a couple mini mashes, in that I have used grains that are capable of producing sugars for fermentation, at this point, only 2 row pale. So, I am just kind of half @ssing it to see what happens. this time, I used 1.5# 2 Row, 3/4# light Crystal, and 1/4# med crystal. I am making a light colored/bodied ale. I "mashed" at 153*F for 1 hr in 1G of water. I strained out the grains, ran the wort back over the grains again, and then, in another pot, combined the grains and another 2G of sparge water, stirred, let it rest a bit, then strained the water over the grains again, and then the initial 1G once more to combine them into one pot to start the boil. I took a sample, and cooled it to 60*F, and took a Hydro reading, and got 1.020. Is this ok for a mini? Anything I get from the mash is gravy since I have enough extract to compensate, but just wanted a 3rd party sanity check.

gotta run- 2nd hops addition @5:12pm

That's very good for the amount of grains you've used. I like mini-mashes more and more.

Just started cooling. Thx for the feedback. I would be curious to see if others out there are taking readings off of their partial mashes.

side note- I did a quasi-continuous hopping with this one. I put in my Nugget pellets at the beginning for bitter, but starting at 45min I started adding a total of 2oz Whole Cascade, ending those additions at 15min, then another 10z whole at flame out. I added a couple pinches every 10 minutes or so...

Back