where can i purchase LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikko

Reaction score
Hi, i live in Ontario Canada and my LHBS only sells DME. I want to do a recipe that uses LME but i don't know where to purchase it from. Some people say from the grocery stores but i searched a few and was unable to find Liquid malt extract. Can anyone help, and please don't ask me to substitute LME for DME because DME is way too much money especially when i need 5 pounds at $20.

thank you.

I know i can order it but i would like to pick it up locally if i can to cut shipping costs.

thanks.

Well, it's only available in homebrew stores, so if you can't find it locally, you'd have to order it. I prefer DME over LME by a great margin, but I know there are some people who like the LME if it's fresh.

thanks yooper, i was under the impression that it can be found in supermarkets oh well.

FWIW, you don't need as much DME as you do LME (about 20% less); it's still usually more expensive, but maybe not to quite the same extent as it appears at first.

I work at CourtneyPark/410. :)

I don't know of any LHBS in this area however (I live in Guelph) but my usual HBS is in Hamilton and they have LME in the large barrels (i.e. buy what you need). I would drive out to Hamilton before I ordered from the US, it would definitely be cheaper. I believe another member named 'rod' is from Brampton, maybe PM him and see where he shops.

Edit: scratch that actually, he lives in Brantford. :)

Back