First bottle explosion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juslod

Reaction score
Came home today from work to find one of my brand new swing-top bottles blew up... It was contained and didn't make too big of a mess, but it is a shame that 1 liter of beer is wasted!

This is the first time I bottled with them, so I put on eye protection, gloves, covered my neck and I carefully moved the other 7 swing tops to a cooler and covered them with a heavy blanket. I'm going to wait out the rest to see what happens, but when I was bottling I forgot to stir the priming sugar and beer in the bucket so I'm guessing this may have been the first one I bottled...

1705-first-bottle-bomb.jpg

but when I was bottling I forgot to stir the priming sugar and beer in the bucket so I'm guessing this may have been the first one I bottled...[/IMG]

I have a feeling that is the problem, and if it is, you may be at risk of others going "boom" and others having little carbonation.
What was your procedure to adding the priming sugar? Boil priming sugar with water, add to bottling bucket, and rack on top causing the beer to swirl and mix? Dry priming sugar in the bucket and rack on top? Adding the sugar on top of the beer without mixing and bottling?

How do you know it was contaminated? If I were to guess, I would say it probably wasn't.

Usually just racking the beer on top of a dissolved solution of boiled water and priming causing the beer to swirl and "slowly spin mix" is usually enough to mix it, but you should always remember to carefully and cleanly stir it to make sure.

Well if they're swing tops, then just pop the top and let off pressure. I definitely made the mistake of not stirring the priming sugar early on- it's not one I'll ever make again.

I have a feeling that is the problem, and if it is, you may be at risk of others going "boom" and others having little carbonation.
What was your procedure to adding the priming sugar? Boil priming sugar with water, add to bottling bucket, and rack on top causing the beer to swirl and mix? Dry priming sugar in the bucket and rack on top? Adding the sugar on top of the beer without mixing and bottling?

How do you know it was contaminated? If I were to guess, I would say it probably wasn't.

Usually just racking the beer on top of a dissolved solution of boiled water and priming causing the beer to swirl and "slowly spin mix" is usually enough to mix it, but you should always remember to carefully and cleanly stir it to make sure.

I boil the priming sugar then add it to my bottling bucket, siphoning the beer on top of the sugar. I haven't had a problem before, but I usually stir the mixture just to be safe. I forgot this time for the first bottle, but after the first I stirred the beer in the bottling bucket to make sure it was mixed properly... I can't be sure that this was the first one I bottled, but if I don't have any others burst I will assume that was my mistake!

Latest posts

Back