PBW/OXICLEAN most effective application

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigo

Reaction score
This is nit picky but I must ask. When cleaning bottles and glass equipment is it necessary to get some granules of OXICLEAN/PBW (your choice) into the inside of the bottle for most effective cleaning?
OR...
Does one simply need to make a cleaner solution and submerge the bottles into the solution for a period of time?

Once again...
1)make sure some of the granules of cleaner get into EACH bottle.
2)make a solution and submerge the bottles

My argument for #1 is that the cleaner produces oxygen that scrubs the side of the glass so wouldn't it be smart to have a little in each bottle otherwise what scrubbing will take place?

Here's what I do;

1) Put bottles in rubber made bin.
2) Add couple scoops of oxyclean, some will get some granules, some won't it wont matter.
3) Begin filling bin with hot water
4) As bin fills, begin holding bottles down so oxywater starts filling the bottles and bottles no longer float.
5) Fill with water to all bottles are submerged.
6) Soak at least over night.
7) Rinse thoroughly.

I am similar to Revvy except that I make the solution in a 20 gallon rubbermaid first using hot hot hot water then add the bottles one-by-one. So... no granules. I let them sit -at least- over night knowing that they will be waiting for me and there is no big hurry.

I was also wondering if it is a good idea to salvage moldy bottles? I have had some donations and they all have mold in the bottom. Never cleaned MOLDY ones before but as I've read it just takes them sitting for a day or two at a slightly stronger solution. I use PBW and OXICLEAN.

IS SAVING/CLEANING/USING THESE BOTTLES WORTH IT? Just gives me qualms.

Thoughts keep coming...

as for dusty bottles that I HAVE cleaned before...is it a must to clean them again before sanitizing OR...

is it ok to rinse them with my bottle washer to get dust out and then sanitize?

ps: thanks for the answers.

I was also wondering if it is a good idea to salvage moldy bottles? I have had some donations and they all have mold in the bottom. Never cleaned MOLDY ones before but as I've read it just takes them sitting for a day or two at a slightly stronger solution. I use PBW and OXICLEAN.

IS SAVING/CLEANING/USING THESE BOTTLES WORTH IT? Just gives me qualms.

Oxyclean does a heck of a job lifting the mold out of any bottles I've come across....and others have flushed even ciggarette buts out of it...rememebr it's glass, so nothing's going to penetrate the glass, and that includes dust or anything else...you are going to clean it out like you would a drinking glass, then you are going to sanitize after that on bottling day...

I do find that incombination with the oxysoak, the jet carboy/bottle washer is invaluable for both flushing out and rinsing off..

image_512.jpg

Revvy... you are awesome. Thanks.

That is the Jet Washer that I have been using; it is fantastic. Just still wondering if the Jet washer and sanitizing is enough for bottles that have been sitting and collecting dust (since they were not turned upside down).
OR
If I should clean them again when I am ready to use them.

Back