A bit late in the game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clcarlton

Reaction score
I realize it's the middle of July, but I've got the brewing bug. I am looking for a simple recipe that can be ready to bottle by Christmas. Mead or Cider. I have a 2 gallon fermentation bucket and a 2 gallon carboy. Since I'm still new to the Mead/Cider process, I'm really hoping for something that my family can enjoy knowing it came from someone with very little experience.

*Adjusted for two gallons
-6lbs grade c maple syrup
-16 chamomile teabags
-montrochet yeast
-water to 2 gallons
Dump 4 pounds of the syrup in, open up the tea bags and dump in the contents, once the sg hits 1.000, rack to secondary and throw in the last two lbs of syrup. I made this back in march and right now it tastes amazing, really really amazing. I'm still bulk aging mine until christmas to bottle.

If it's between mead & cider, go for the cider; mead won't be ready by Christmas. There are several different cider/cider-like recipes, my fav is Brandon O's Graff. It's easy & ready pretty quick. His recipe is here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/
Though you might want to make a full 5 gallon batch, as Graff is so tasty, it doesn't last long.
You might have some luck with a braggot, it MIGHT be ready for Christmas if you start now.
Regards, GF.

Look up JAOM(joe's ancient orange mead) on here. It's a very sweet mead that people have claimed to be drinkable in as little as 2 months, and better with time.

I tasted mine at 3 months and am looking forward to opening my first bottle soon. I imagine at 5-6 months, it will be really good.

Back