Adding frozen juice concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
What do you guys think, will it work? My girlfriend relly likes "Fruli" beer, I think it has strawberry juice in it. If I brew a Blonde Ale, ferment it out, cold crash it, keg it and then add frozen juice concentrate like one bellow and keep it around 40F theoretically it should remain as is and not ferment out. I really don't want to go fresh strawberries route in secondary which will ferment out and leave almost no flavour, I read mixed reviews about it and I just don't feel like mess with 4-5 lbs of fruit.

ps_limeade_fc.jpg

All you'd be doing here is telling everyone you're too lazy to cut up a lime! Just start off brewing as normal and when you pour a fresh cold one from the keg, measure how much concentrate tastes just right to complement your beer. Then add it in your next batch. Only thing I'd wonder is how it would affect head retention with the increased acidity?

First micro-brewery I ever went to was in Boston 20-some years ago. They served fruit flavored beers by adding syrup to the mug before serving the beer. It was pretty good, but I haven't had fruit flavored beer since then.

In theory you should be fine, since any leftover yeast won't be very active, and any fermentation you do get will just carbonate your beer a little more. Not sure about the beer you're referencing, but I'd just worry that the concentrate would add too many sugars to the final beer and it would wind up being too sweet. I like alenub's idea of adding the concentrate to a glass with your beer to figure out at what level you are happy with it before adding it to the whole batch. If you keep a pretty good track of how much you've had from the keg, you could even go back and add it to the original keg after you'd figured out what proportion of concentrate to use.

Back