Calling all IPA lovers...what are your favorite 3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know you asked for 3 but that is impossible for me so here you go in no particular order.

Troegs Nugget Nectar
Green Flash West Coast
Bear Republic Racer 5
Dogfish Head 60 & 90min
Victory Hop Wallop
Founders Double Trouble
Captain Lawrence Imperial IPA
Bell's Two Hearted

I haven't tried some of the "big names" (DFH, Pliny, etc) yet because I can't get them here (at least not yet). However, of the ones I've tried, these are my top three in no particular order:

-Sierra Nevada Torpedo
-Rogue Imperial IPA
-Sweetwater IPA

this changing nearly daily for me since I have only been a IPA/IIPA lover for like a year.

Today it would be

- Russian River Blind Pig
- Fireston Walker Union Jack
- Ballast Point Sculpin IPA

Never thought I would say this, but I am starting to like California beers :)

Odell Brewing Co. India Pale Ale
Firestone Walker India Pale Ale
Four Peaks Hop Knot IPA

In no particular order:
Avery IPA
Bell's Two Hearted
Hopslam

Founders Double Trouble
Bell's Hopslam
Green Flash Imperial

As you can see I prefer imperials/doubles.

A couple of days ago I tried some pale ales and ipa's from a Saranac
sampler, they all had the same basic taste and that tart, thin-bodied
quality that you get from American ale yeast. So the next day I try
a couple from a Magic Hat sampler and of them tasted just like
the Saranac ales but one other was excellent, I could tell right away
it was made with a British ale yeast because of the body and the
absence of tartness. It's called Lucky Kat.

1. Harpoon IPA
2. Lucky Kat (Magic Hat)
3. Ipswich IPA (Ipswich Brewing Co.)

Ray

I prefer the Magic Hat HI.P.A to Lucky Kat.

My top 3 would be:
1) Bells Two Hearted
2) Speakeasy Double Daddy
3) Southern Tier Gemini

Just had Stone IPA for the first time and wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Still a good IPA, just not top 3 or top 5. It's a little too clean and not enough malt character. I guess I've grown more attached to apa's.

Had a southern Tier 2xIPA the other day at the beer festival, was pretty good.

1. Bell's Hopslam
2. my Amarillo IPA
3. Three Floyds Dreadnaught
(4. Founders Double Trouble)

if you put Big Eye in your top three you really need to find their Sculpin IPA. blows it out of the water...

Livin' on the east coast, it is hard to get fresh Sculpin (when it is availible), never saw a keg of it, I've only ever had a bomber and it wasn't so hot (maybe close to date?). If you got a tip where I can get some in Philly, lemme know--I want it!! Others have suggested the same before, I'll give it another go (or two, or three).

Livin' on the east coast, it is hard to get fresh Sculpin (when it is availible), never saw a keg of it, I've only ever had a bomber and it wasn't so hot (maybe close to date?). If you got a tip where I can get some in Philly, lemme know--I want it!! Others have suggested the same before, I'll give it another go (or two, or three).

I'd have no idea where to find it in Philly but I do know they just bottled a batch of it today so keep an eye out for it at your local bottle shops.

Smuttynose IPA
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Victory Hop Wallop

Just tried the Torpedo the other night for the first time - I am really wishing I got more than a sixer!

Flying Dog -Raging *****
Ska - Modus Hoperandi
Boulevard - Single Wide

For those that haven't tried Boulevard Brewing in Kansas City, check them out. Fantastic beers!

Smuttynose IPA
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Sweetwater IPA

(weird how they all start with 's')

Though this thread's last post isn't so old I know this submission from the first page is. Wanted to add that Sweetwater IPA is very underrated. It is a supremely good brew very flavorful hop centric, centennial I believe.

As for my top 3:
Hop Rod Rye
Victory IPA
Jockamo/Sweetwater IPA (in a tie as Sweetwater reigns supreme in flavor-hop impact while Jockamo is the most drinkable IPA I've encountered). These are two of the better IPAs the south has to offer.

Schlante,
Phillip

Back