krausen explosion?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my 4th batch overall (partial grain). I pitched the yeast on Friday around 6pm, so it has been a few days. I have never seen the krausen get so high up in my 5 gallon carboy. I'm worried about an explosion! Should I be? What should I do?

Thanx,

Jeremy

krausen.jpg

Use a blow off tube or a larger fermenter (6.5 gal carboy or a 6+ gal bucket) next time.

For now, you can still attach a blow off tube to the carboy/airlock if you want.

I went with a blow off tube,& a 1/2G vodka jug 1/3 full of water for initial fermentation on my last one. This after we came back home from running errands to find "the blob" creeping out the top of my airlock. Kind of a slow motion expanding,drooping,creeping motion. I chuckled when I saw it,thinking of that old "B" movie.
I'd leave the airlock on while you make the run. Just be quick.

Go to the hardware store. Take a measurement of the internal diameter of the mouth of the carboy, and pick up some tubing at the hardware store that has an outer diameter slightly larger than your carboy measurement. Then sanitize it and shove the end in the mouth of the carboy, and put the other end in your bucket/milkjug/whatever. When I get a sec I'll post the tubing diameter that worked for me.

At home I have some of the narrow tubing I use when I bottle. Can I use this or does it need to be a wider diameter?

I live near Lowe's and Home Depot...what diameter do I need?

Go to the hardware store. Take a measurement of the internal diameter of the mouth of the carboy, and pick up some tubing at the hardware store that has an outer diameter slightly larger than your carboy measurement. Then sanitize it and shove the end in the mouth of the carboy, and put the other end in your bucket/milkjug/whatever. When I get a sec I'll post the tubing diameter that worked for me.

Do that JJPhilly! :mug:

You don't need a blow off tube the size of a gas pump hose,imo,that's overkill. I use a 3/8" hose on one,the other is some 1/2" to 5/8". Run it into a 1/2G jug 1/3 full of water,& you'll be fine. You'd be surprised what a 3/8" hose can handle.

1) It looks like, from the picture, that the krausen is already starting to fall back. I really wouldn't worry so much at this point. You'd be fine leaving the airlock on or just replacing the airlock with a clean one.

2) You can use thin tubing and attach it to the middle post of the airlock, it will work fine.

3) You can also go get 1-1/4" OD tubing and jam it into the mouth of the carboy.

Gas-X. Get some Gas-X (get liquid if you can) it is made from simethicone that is the same stuff they use in the fermcap-s anti foam drops. I think the stuff made for babies comes with a convenient eye dropper. A couple drops of that will knock the foam right down and it will never rise again.

Also, look into getting some fermcap-s anti-foam drops. They are 100% safe and work wonders.

Make sure you get the simethicone based anti-gas medication and not the enzyme based!

The problem with that is the lift tube in the center of the airlock is the same diameter as the 3/8" hose I bought. And no one sells 7/16" that I could find. But the 3/8" should fit the airlock hole in the bung. Close enough there...

The problem with that is the lift tube in the center of the airlock is the same diameter as the 3/8" hose I bought. And no one sells 7/16" that I could find. But the 3/8" should fit the airlock hole in the bung. Close enough there...

I've done it before with tubing from Home Depot, but that was long ago and I can't for the life of me remember what diameter the tubing was.

Nowadays I don't use a blow-off at all. I use buckets and cool fermentation temps and haven't had any issues.

Well,concidering the wall thickness of the 3/8" tubing I have that matched the OD of the lift tube,I estimated that 7/16" would be ideal. But the sizes run with a bigger spread than that. Like 3/8,1/2,5/8"...

I have 1 3/8 OD tubing. It took some real work to get that tube in the bung. 1 1/4 may work better, but I've never used it.

Latest posts

Back