Flaked wheat and oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitt100

Reaction score
Can either or both be steeped or do either or both need mashed? I have a pound of both along with some crystal that I wanted to add to 6 pounds of LME. It doesn't matter whether I do a steep or a partial mash just want to know what I can do with them? Thanks,
Pitt

pitt100 said:
Can either or both be steeped or do either or both need mashed? I have a pound of both along with some crystal that I wanted to add to 6 pounds of LME. It doesn't matter whether I do a steep or a partial mash just want to know what I can do with them? Thanks,
Pitt

unmalted grains (like flaked wheat and oats) need to be mashed with some 2-row or other enzymatic grains.

reference (Look under the "Unmalted" section):
http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Grains

Mash them or you've got mud. If you can find it, malted wheat can be steeped.

To mash what you have, add equal amounts of 2-row and reduce the LME.

When I started brewing, DME was actually what you now refer to as LME.

DME was an acronym for Diastatic Malt Extract made by Edme. and had sufficient diastase to convert a certain amount of starch into sugar. You added the extract to hot water, adjusted the temperature to mashing temperature, and mashed the adjuncts without any need for whole grain which was generally not available.

I have no idea if extracts now have diastase.

-a.

Back