Can't describe off-taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone might have an idea of what my problem might be. First off, I brewed a True Brew English Pale Ale kit.

The brewing went fine until I put it in my sink to cool the wort. Short explanation: I had to leave in a hurry before I could pitch the yeast so I put the lid on it and bolted out the house. I returned about 2.5 hrs later and it was cool! I pitched the yeast, it fermented fine. When I put the wort in the fermenter I did have some sludge on the bottom that I went ahead and let go in, I figure it was just hops that had settled.

3 weeks in primary/secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle. It has a funky aftertaste, kind of sweet with a bitter aftertaste (not a hoppy bitter either). This is my 5 brew, 3rd that is steeped grain and the previous 2 came out wonderfully so I'm just hoping that this is a fluke. Any ideas if letting it sit for 2.5 hrs before pitching caused the problem?

Thanks -:mug:

Don't think so. I'd bet that it's just a poorly balanced kit that has too much bittering hops...It's deceiving when it's over done.
That is the #1 reason that I don't do kits at all any more. I even had to re-work the hop timing on an AHS All Grain kit to make it fit style guidelines. (In their defense...it was a clone kit, and the clone is out of guide).

Try our recipe section here...find something that you're real familiar with and try that. I'll bet you'll be fine.

2.5 hours in a clean pot in the sink - no problem there.

How hot was it when you steeped, and/or did you squeeze the grain bag - wondering if you got tannin extraction (and did not on previous two steep brews.)

Shelve it and come back to it in another month or two.

Appreciate the feedback. It's been a week since my first bottle and the condition (now 7 weeks since brewing) is MUCH better. It's a sweeter beer than I typically like but I'm much happier now.

I've seen the advice many times here, "let it age", I'll give it another week and give it a shot.

:mug:

Back