Saison fermentation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knowltonm

Reaction score
So I was nervous doing my first saison as my first brew on new equipment in a new place without my brewing buddy, but I went ahead anyway. Here's the recipe:

9lb 2-row (belgian)
3lb wheat malt
0.5lb vienna
0.25lb acid malt
1lb homemade candi sugar
0.25 tsp black pepper
0.25 tsp ground coriander
0.5oz sweet orange peel
1.75oz williamette at 60 minutes
2oz saaz at 5 minutes
Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison yeast

Mashing was an issue because I'm an idiot and adjusted for the cooler absorbing heat 3 times, but I am pretty certain I got full conversion (first time doing an iodine test) and after cooling the OG was 1.063.

I also made my first starter with about 750mL of 1.040 SG wort. I made this in the evening, and didn't notice any signs of fermentation the next morning 8-10 hour later. I was concerned at this point but continued. I pitched this yeast after 2 more days, the last day I put it in the fridge and poured off the liquid before pitching.

Pitched at 80 degrees and it has been sitting ar 78-79F ever since.

After 5 days, gravity was 1.046; today after 13 days it is 1.038. I swirled/shook the fermenter after the 5 day reading and also today. I'm going to try and get the temp up to 85 at least if not 90. Should I get another pack of yeast or wait it out?

With so many firsts in this batch, I don't know how I ever thought it would turn out... Thanks for any help in advance!

Every sasion yeast seems to stall out after a bit. But then magically it starts up again. This has been my exp with all but one strain and that is the fermentis dry strain which fermented out in a week.

give it a week or two then check it again.

There is a thread about this around specifically for one of the strains, there are probably others as well. As Rev says, completely normal for the Saison strains.

3724 thread

Back