3 Floyds Gumballhead clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlprice45

Reaction score
I found this recipe in a separate thread and I want to make it but have a question about the 1 lb. of 2-row pale malt used in the steep. Why steep a pound of 2-row if you're not getting conversion? Is it just for flavor? Does it really make a difference or could it be left out? Thanks.

6lb Wheat Dry Extract
1lb Pale Malt
1lb Torrified Wheat
1oz Amarillo Gold (60m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (30m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (5m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (Dry Hop)
White Labs California Ale WLP001

Steep cracked grains in muslin bags from cold to 155 degrees. Hold at 155 degrees
for 30 to 40 minutes. Drain and remove muslin bags.
Bring to a boil. Add DME and 1 oz. of Amarillo Hops. Boil 30 minutes.
Add 1 oz. Amarillo Hops. Boil for 25 minutes. (1/2 oz. if less hoppy is desired)
Add 1 oz. Amarillo Hops. Boil for 5 minutes. (1/2 oz. if less hoppy is desired)

Ferment 68 to 70 degrees until fermentation completely ends
Re-rack and dry hop with 1oz of Amarillo hops for an additional week.

I'd suggest you either mash both the Pale malt and the wheat, or drop both of them and replace with 1.3 lbs of the DME. Both need to be mashed to provide any fermentables. All they will add from steeping is starch and haze.

Mashing them will probably give you a better flavor than just the DME. Add the 2 lbs of crushed malt to 3 quarts of 160 F water and maintain temperature about 150 F for 30 minutes.

Gumballhead is the best beer ever! Actually saw it number one on askmen.com's healthiest beers list at one time (maybe 4 years ago?). Tons of amarillo shines through that brew. Especially on the dry hop. Do not forget the red wheat in this beer as mentioned on the bottle! I think Aromatic malt was another I have planned to use in my clone.

Back