temp controllers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am converting an old costco model that will hold 3 corny kegs, and want to know what is the best temp controller for the money, and if it is necessary to have the additional control (timer) setting so as not to overheat the compressor.

I found this cheap one

Freezer Conversion Thermostat - Remote Bulb Freezer Conversion Thermostat [Thermostat - Port-Ext-8] - $36.00 : CHI Company ball lock kegs for sale, Home brewing and vending, beer kegs, Pepsi vending machines, flavor strips and vending labels

but with it kicking on every 3 degree temp change and living in hawaii...wil it turn on and off too often and wear out the compressor? Should I go with a more expensive one that has the timer and temp switch?

Just curious what is recommended and what everyone else is using for their temp. controller on their freezer conversions...

man I use a simple johnson controls unit myself... It works just fine for me and im in oklahoma lot of temp changes bro...

Why would you guys use the johnson or love controller that are going to run $50-$60 over the OP's $36 model? I understand a lot of people have used the johnson and love controllers without issues but is there anything wrong with the $36 dollar controller? It's cheaper, already wired, and looks to be the choice for the thrifty and electrically-challenged. Am I missing something?

My buddy uses one of the 36 dollar controllers, other than having to make sure it reaches the correct temp via another thermometer they work great, take a day or two to dial in but his seem to work really well. Never has had touch it since the first few days.

I'm using one of the temp controllers listed in the OP's post, and it seems to be just fine. If your freezer is sealing well and insulated well (as most are), there shouldn't be much of a problem with temperature fluctuations. Just don't open it and close it all the time. My keg freezer turns on FAR less than my fridge/freezer in the kitchen. Maybe once a day.

I have both the OP's controller and a Johnson. In truth I prefer the CHI controller. It is a nicer looking unit, the covering on it is a nice touch. The temperature dial is also nicer and easier to use. As far as performance, it seems to be pretty much a push. That three degree dead zone is really just right, actually. Especially if you put the probe in a homemade thermowell made with a white labs vial and freezer pack gel. (Of course I would recommend this thermowell with either controller.)

At the same price the decision is slightly tougher (I got my JC for $5 less than the CHI on flea bay) but at a good savings the CHI unit becomes a no-brainer.

I have both the OP's controller and a Johnson. In truth I prefer the CHI controller. It is a nicer looking unit, the covering on it is a nice touch. The temperature dial is also nicer and easier to use. As far as performance, it seems to be pretty much a push. That three degree dead zone is really just right, actually. Especially if you put the probe in a homemade thermowell made with a white labs vial and freezer pack gel. (Of course I would recommend this thermowell with either controller.)

At the same price the decision is slightly tougher (I got my JC for $5 less than the CHI on flea bay) but at a good savings the CHI unit becomes a no-brainer.

Can you please expand upon your homemade thermowell, possibly with a picture or two? I read your description of it from the other week, but I still don't quite grasp the concept. Do you stick the vial in the carboy?

Either the johnson controls or one from love controls if you don't mind doing some wiring

Ever heard of the love controls #165? temp range -184 to +2500, but could this be set for a kegerator, or is the model tsd 10110 the love controller of choice since it seems simpler?

Just curious, both on ebay for about the same, about $40-45 when shipping thrown in.

Can you please expand upon your homemade thermowell, possibly with a picture or two? I read your description of it from the other week, but I still don't quite grasp the concept. Do you stick the vial in the carboy?

I'm assuming you have a white labs vial around. All you have to do is squeeze a couple inches worth of the goo from inside a freezer gel pack into the vial and then place the probe into the vial so that the probe is covered by the gel. You get the thermal stability of the gel which means that the compressor will kick on and off less often.

No the thermowell does not go in the carboy. It just goes inside the chamber.

Back