8 Week Red Ale Recipe, How Long In Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbraley

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am making Jasper's Psychedelic Double Red Ale. :fro:

Everything has gone great so far, the recipe calls for 8 weeks until drinkability.

It is a bit vague about the process here.

I had the beer in the primary fermentor for 10 days.

I have since racked it over to the Secondary, and it has been in there for 2 weeks.

So basically I am 3 weeks into my 8 weeks.

I am going to keg it once, it is finished, but I am wondering when I should remove it from the secondary and begin the kegging process?

I wouldn't necessarily follow the timelines you get with kits (this is a kit, right?)...they're more like guidelines. Beer is ready when it's ready, not when the kit says it's ready.

If you're at FG, then you can just keg it now, and start carbonating it. Oh, and as far as secondaries are concerned...a lot of people (myself included) don't use them at all, or in select cases (aging on fruit, bulk aging, etc.).

You could move it to the keg now and let it mature there on gas or you could just leave it in the carboy until week 7. You could leave in the carboy until week 10 or 15 if you wanted to.

Back