Wanting to make banana bread Beer, need help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
How does this recipe look to you? I love Wells banana bread beer, attempting to make a similar beer.

Northern Brewer suggested subing the pale malt for marris otter to get that nutty flavor.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.0 %
4.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.0 %
1.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 12.5 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (45 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3638) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Color: 16.9 SRM
Bitterness: 13.6 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.4 %
Actual Calories: 43 cal/pint

I was thinking leave it for a month in primary, then dry banana the beer in the 2ndary. Would also add a vanilla bean.

I've never made a recipe myself but it looks pretty good. Personally the best time I think to add any flavor addatives is in the secondary. That's when I add vanilla bean in my brews. But if you are 100% against it then yeah add it after your primary fermentation is done

im new to brewing..... do i create a mash with all these grains or do i steep some in the boil? also how many gallons of water would i create the mash with?

You never steep in the boil. You almost always mash them all (some people steep--not boil!--roasted grains to get smoother flavor). Read Palmer's How to Brew and lurk in teh beginner's section to get an idea of things.

i didnt mean boil i mean steep them for the first 20 mins or before 170 degrees... or add them to a mash for 60 mins,,,, i know some specity grains get steeped, thought because there was so many different grains that some might get the sugars out easier then another grain thanks for the reply

i added this to beersmith and got this...

only 2.7 abv suggest
og 1.027

how are you getting something different

Awesome, I really like that beer too, I second the thought of using Maris otter, but I always think Maris otter is a good idea ;b

beersmith says i should keep it in the primary for 4 days? is that possible?

I have found that white labs yeast WLP 530 will provide tons of banana flavor from the esters. Might be worth giving it a try in your recipe.

Latest posts

Back