No Press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
My neighbor's tree is bursting with apples this year, and I really wanted to try my hand at making cider, but I don't have a press. That said, are there recipes in which people just cut up a certain number of apples and mash it with an otherwise standard brew - making an apple beer?

I don't have a crusher, or a press. I stick the whole washed apples in the freezer in a big plastic bag. When I have enough, I put them in big mesh bags (winemaking shops sell them- I have quite a few), and put them in the sanitized primary to thaw. As they thaw, I smash them up with a sanitized mash paddle. I then add the campden, 12 hours later I add the pectic enzyme, and the next day pitch the yeast.

After a few days of fermenting, I sanitize my hands and pull out the bags and squeeze well, until nothing by dry pulp and skins is left.

It's a bit messy, but it's easy and cheap and it works!

Back