Cheapest way to obtain bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
If a guy wanted to have two 5gal batches and needed about 110 bottles for that, what would be the best way to get those bottles? Buy 4-5 cases of beer and drink it :p order the bottles online, or what?

:mug: You only need about (55) 22oz. bottles for (2) 5 gal. batches and thats half as many bottles. This works out well for me.:mug:

Another option is to look for empties at places where empties are returned. I see you're from California, which like Michigan, has a bottle return. I have snagged multiple cases of Sam Adams, German weiss, Grolsch fliptops, etc. for just the cost of the deposits. I alway buy beer too to stay in the good graces of the store owner.

Just clean thoroughly, delabel, and you're on your way. It's not as fun as consuming mass quantities of beer, but it can be quicker.

Or talk to someone who has recently switched to kegging!

...anybody want a several cases of empties?

:D

dumpster diving behind the bar on saterday am, or help them take out the the trash on saterday am.

You can go down to redemption center and ask them if you can get some bottles. You'll probably have to pay for them. Also, check with your local brewpubs and bars and ask them if you can get bottles off them. Just make sure they're crown tops and not twist-off.

Yep, dumpster diving in a trash can behind a college bar is the easiest way to get more bottles than you can shake a stick at, but spend some time exploring the great taste of Grolsch and you'll consume some very fine brew and ease your bottling burden.

Where are the bottles taken for redemption? Are they taken back to the store they're bought from? If so, I'm going to take a walk across the street tonight and ask the manager at CVS if I can buy their bottles.

Our state doesn't do that recycling, so all the bars toss theirs into a large trash bag. You can often hear the glass breaking in there. In my case I would really need to know the barmaid or owner to have them set aside the pop tops vs throwing away. (although $5 or so as an extra tip to save the ones drank while I am there would probably work)

I keep forgetting that many states don't have redemption centers or recycling programs. Here in Maine we pay a $.05 per can/bottle deposit when we buy beer and we get it back when we take the empties in for redemption. A lot of the redemption centers (unless they feel like being pricks that day) will let you go through the bottles and take what you want as long as pay them back for the value. The bars also save the bottles to collect the redemption value later. If you call ahead and ask them they are usually willing to let you pick through the empties. Offering to pay them a premium on the redemption value will usually seal the deal and prove to them that you're not trying to rip them off and it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a case of bottles at the LHBS.:rockin:

I used to go to the local pub and buy a few cases of their "returnables". Most places will have them in some heavy duty cardboard cases, waiting for exchange with the beer man.

Of course the only downside is that you usually get bottles with cigarette butts, etc in them.

Plus side, I've only ever had to pay the deposit on the bottles (~$2/case)

jeff967 said:
dumpster diving behind the bar on saterday am, or help them take out the the trash on saterday am.

Or offer to take them out at last call.....maybe even get a free beer.:ban:

NitrouStang96 said:
If a guy wanted to have two 5gal batches and needed about 110 bottles for that, what would be the best way to get those bottles? Buy 4-5 cases of beer and drink it :p order the bottles online, or what?

Go down to OB tell find a bum and tell him you'll pay 10 cents a bottle for 12oz and 15 cents for a 22oz bottle. You will be both helping the poor get drugs and helping yourself get cheap bottles

Plastic soda pop bottles work well. You can bottle a lot of beer in the 2 and 3 liter sizes. Just keep your beer away from light.

Don't forget "freecycle" either.

buy 1 liter swing tops. buy 2 cases (12 in a case) and bottle the rest in 12 ozers

I have my friends drink 16 oz twist off beers like coors, and miller for me. They love the challenge to drink beer. Also, ask for some on free cycle. The cheapest way is to go to the bar and have a buddy go through the trash. Trust me we all know somebody who will dumpster dive for a twelve pack.

I nabbed 10 cases from a recycling center...all packaged up, too, I was able to pick out cases where people just put the bottles back in the case. It worked out very well.

I second the motion to buy back from places that recollect used bottles, tons of beer stores do that and it's a great way to pick up bottles.

As always, clean them REALLY well. :)

Back