Spiced Winter Warmer Yeast - think outside the box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have my winter warmer coming up to be brewed this weekend, and I am thinking about what yeast to use, as I need to prepare a starter ASAP.

I could just play it safe, and go with neutral ale yeast, like pacman. I am thinking about other yeasts, to make the beer unusuall and unique.

The recipe is a 1.070 OG, 33 IBU brown ale......cinn,nutmeg,cloves,fennel added to boil.

Here are my options

1: Bells Yeast fermented warm, like 73-74 degrees: I know it can produce some nice esters when warmed up

2. Chimay (WLP500), use normal belgian ale fermentation protocol

3. WLP029 (kolsch), use kolsch protocol

4. Pacman....just keep it simple

thoughts?

I would use the WLP 500, I would think the Belgian qualities would mix in with a spiced brown nicely, kind of like some of the Belgian Christmas Beers.

I've made some winter warmers, and I like 1728 scottish ale. At least is what I used with success.

If you're thinking outside the box, consider a load of lactose. Man I think that is what makes Southern Tier's Pumking one of the finest holiday beers ever. I also swear there is ginger in there.

I also swear there is ginger in there.

I agree. I used ginger in my pumpkin last year.

As far as the yeast, I was thinking about trying a Belgian strain this year, maybe a saison. I think the peppery esters will compliment the spices I am using (ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and star anise).

Kolcsh would be very clean, might even make the spices stand out too much. The Chimay would probably be a great choice, it's still on my list of possibles.

Problem with belgian strains is that they are overachievers. If you dry your Christmas beer out the spices will reign. I know from previous failures that this is undesirable.

At least make sure you mash high so as to leave lots of unfermentables.

I mashed her at 154, OG= 1.071 and after one week at 68 degrees with WLP500 the beer is at 1.028 and I think will finish about right, 1.015 would be great.

Now for another question. Just to kick it up a notch, how would adding a gallon of apple cider to the primary work out? I know it would possibly dry it out more, but I think the apple flavor would be nice. Advice?

I say take a sample and taste it, let the beer tell you what to do.

The beer tasted good last night when I took a sample, nice spice note for sure. I think I will just let it be, if anything add honey or candi sugar.

Latest posts

Back