Current batch of sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JORY

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer with all DME and when I transferred this weekend it seemed like an excessive amount of trub/sediment etc on bottom of bucket. Maybe two or three inches. I have always used LME and some DME before so was wondering if this is normal. Beer tasted really good and it was one of those MURPHY brewings I was sure would not turn out. I used 6.5 lbs of DME and Extract grains and hops (3 doses) 60 min 15 min and 0 min on boil.

Your trub layer doesn't sound like it is a problem. Maybe a difference in the milling or more starch in the grains used or most likely a change in yeast , but no big deal. It is not from the change between DME and LME.

Thanks for the reply, yes I could say all those things probably do apply as I changed everything I had used in the past. Used SO4 yeast and it was very very active.

If you have that thick of a layer of trub, you may be transferring too soon as the trub should settle out into a compact layer. I suspect your yeast might not be done working yet.

hmm.......maybe too soon. I did transfer at 8 days this time instead of 14. Trying new things. Will give this some thought too.

You can generally primary for a few weeks to let the beer finish fermenting, clarify and mellow out in general.

Brent

Have tried some at 1-3 weeks in Primary and then 1-3 weeks in secondary. Just been experimenting alot with ferment times and racking times with mead and beer as of late. Thanks for the input

That's a lot of trub. I usually use about 3.75lbs of LME with 3lbs of plain DME in my mid gravity ales. I never get more than about 1/2 to 5/8" of trub in the bottom by bottling day. I guess it may have something to do with the brand of extract malt being used. Over & above your individual process.

Yes it did seem like alot to me. As I said I changed alot of things including alot of grains in the bag for steeping. I should have let it set for another 7 days as usual but it is an experiment and it tastes great already so.................

Latest posts

Back