Finally making a "big boy brew"... Texas Red Ale Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewTexian

Reaction score
Ok... so after using the Mr Beer kit my wife got me for Christmas a few times, I decided that I really enjoyed making and drinking my own beer.

For my birthday (today), she and I took a field trip to Austin Homebrew Supply and picked up a two stage kit to get into the grown-up brewing.

I've visited the place a few times over the past six months, just perusing the aisles and drooling on the merchandise (don't tell 'em! :rockin:). However, it was nice walking out of there with a push cart full of stuff (scored me a great AHS 20th Anniversary pint glass too).

Decided that the Texas Red Ale Mini Mash would be a great place to start my adult brewing obsession.

Planning on cruising craigslist for a cheap dorm fridge to convert into a kegerator, and of course, getting a couple kegs, soon...

Congats.. or condolences depending on which of you reads this. You can make great beer with extracts so don't ever think you have to do all grain. That said, all grain is better because you can vary every part of you beer and fine tune it to whatever you want it to be.. Now prepare to become totally insane about beer.

AHS got me started too. At the time I was making big time online poker money so I went with the most baller kit they would sell me.

Here's what I've learned: All their recipes will tell you that you can transfer to secondary in 5 to 7 days but I'm starting to find that to be bad advice at times. Use the airlock and your hydrometer over your calendar. I'm starting to play around with just leaving beers in the bucket for 3-4 weeks. I'd also advise getting a filler to fit to your bottling bucket nozzle. I'm finally going to get one tomorrow after bottling 15+ batches.

Oh additionally: Whole leaf hops will ruin your siphon if you let them and you can never go wrong with dry hopping with Amarillo. Oh, and put some of your sanitizer in a spray bottle. Very helpful for many of the smaller items. Watch youtube videos on washing yeast and learn how to make starters too. Big cash saver.

I made the AHS 20th anniversary amber ale all grain kit and just tried the first bottle last night and it turned out great! One of my best beers to date. I didn't transfer mine to a secondary either. I agree that transferring to a secondary is a waste of time except when really needed for long term aging or something. I left in primary for 2 weeks, cold crashed for 2 days and bottled with 5oz of priming corn sugar. The beer is already very clear and tasty. Have fun with your new kit and start putting away money for a "beer fund", you are going to need it now.

AHS got me started too. At the time I was making big time online poker money so I went with the most baller kit they would sell me.

Here's what I've learned: All their recipes will tell you that you can transfer to secondary in 5 to 7 days but I'm starting to find that to be bad advice at times. Use the airlock and your hydrometer over your calendar. I'm starting to play around with just leaving beers in the bucket for 3-4 weeks. I'd also advise getting a filler to fit to your bottling bucket nozzle. I'm finally going to get one tomorrow after bottling 15+ batches.

Oh additionally: Whole leaf hops will ruin your siphon if you let them and you can never go wrong with dry hopping with Amarillo. Oh, and put some of your sanitizer in a spray bottle. Very helpful for many of the smaller items. Watch youtube videos on washing yeast and learn how to make starters too. Big cash saver.

A lot of good advice packed in there.

I make my own pizza and bread, so I'm familiar with starters (have a few sourdoughs in the fridge right now). Once I get the hang of it, I'll probably make my own brewer yeast starters too.

A lot of good advice packed in there.

I make my own pizza and bread, so I'm familiar with starters (have a few sourdoughs in the fridge right now). Once I get the hang of it, I'll probably make my own brewer yeast starters too.

That's actually where I got a lot of my yeast knowledge. I used to "catch" wild yeast for my own sourdough as well. Had to do it a couple times before I got one that tasted good though.

Anyway, congrats! Let us know how it goes.

I got my starter kit from AHS and am starting to drink my way through their 20th Anniversary ESB I did as a mini-mash and it has turned out delicious.

Here's what I've learned: All their recipes will tell you that you can transfer to secondary in 5 to 7 days but I'm starting to find that to be bad advice at times. Use the airlock and your hydrometer over your calendar. I'm starting to play around with just leaving beers in the bucket for 3-4 weeks.

This.

I have done almost all my brews with 4 week primaries and they've all turned out great and very clear. The one I didn't primary for 4 weeks needed dry hopping so I elected to use the secondary on that one.

Welcome to the obsession/hobby!!!

What part of Georgetown?

Technically, we're in G-town ETJ, out in the woods near where G-town, RR, CP, and Leander all come together. Parkside is the name of the neighborhood.

What part of G-town are you in?

I know the area. Over by Dyer Dairy. Bought some raw milk for cheesemaking at that dairy awhile back. Good to know there are locals on the forum.

Back