I think its stuck II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gristulin

Reaction score
Ok, so I waited a few week like everyone said. My sweet stout is still @ 1.036!:mad: Any ideas? It tastes good, although really sweet(obviously), but only right when it hits ur tongue, then the black patent kinda takes over a little and you dont notice that sweetness, finishes nice and smooth. I know, "If it tastes good, drink it and stop complaining!" But thats not the point. I want to know why/how this would happen. How I can prevent it from happening, and if there is anything I can do to make this grav drop some more.
Zac

Well, i think adding the lactose would effect your gravity, wouldnt it? By dissolving a sugar, even an unfermentable sugar, you increase your gravity because it would effect the density of the liquid.

Well, i think adding the lactose would effect your gravity, wouldnt it? By dissolving a sugar, even an unfermentable sugar, you increase your gravity because it would effect the density of the liquid.

the lactose will keep the FG high. but not that high.

try warming the brew. shake it up a little, don't worry the head space is full of CO2 and shouldn't oxidize your brew. if that fails to get things moving you could try adding more of the same strain of yeast you used in the first place.

You may have been inadvertently mashing too high. What was your mash temp and what thermometer are you using. How long is the probe?

If you can't get it unstuck, I have used Amalyse Enzyme with great success. I had a short digital thermometer and the mash was much hotter toward the bottom than at the top, and my extra stouts kept getting stuck at 1.031. I had one in a keg decarbed and one still in the fermenter. The enzyme brought them both down to 1.022.

ODaniel, I bet ur right. The mash temp was a little on the high side, and I was using the same kinda thermometer you are discribing. Beersmith was way high in the strike water temp. It never really came down to the 156 I was wanting to mash at. It was 160+ the whole mash, and that was in the top 4-6".
How do you use the Amalyse Enzyme? I'll pick some up on the way home from work.
Thanks
Zac

Sounds like you got what you were going for.

Once you hit 160+ for a rest temp, you really start to preserve some sweetness. A lot of UK brewing involves higher mash temps (160-164) to get a really rich sweetness in beers like Ole Speckled Hen.

Combine a pound of unfermentable sugars along with high range mash temps and you end up with a...sweet stout.

Back