******* Award of the Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
So, I have been awarded the ******* Award of the Day.
So when i brewed my batch of bock, I made 10 gal. No big deal.
Added hops and Irish moss <== "forgot last time" Cooled the wort..Everything going great.

Added yeast to the carboys, Got them into a ice bath. Done deal.

Now after 3 days i remember something. The original Gravity.

And what really sucks is, This is the first batch where the airlock has been filled with beer!!! Talk about cutting it close.. Get home from work and go change water bottles and see the airlock bumbling beer out the top.

So, If i had a OG least i could say i got better than exspected gravity and its caused the high krauson... Or at least give me some idea.

So at any rate, ******* award of the year..... But and least it will be good beer. :ban:

If your one mistake was forgetting to take an OG, you are doing alright for yourself.

PS: Blow off hose next time

ya blow off hose is in the works with the new ferm chamber.
But i have done 7 brews and this is the first one to do this....So kinda odd.
Made this exact beer 3 times, and it has got close to airlock but not bubbleing out the top.

Oh wellz....Least it didnt clog and blow the airlock off, Would have had one pissed off swmbo :drunk:

Was this an extract batch? If so, not too big a deal. O.G. shouldn't differ from your calculated O.G. by much unless you forgot to put something in.

I had the airlock explosion once. I have always used a blow off tube since. I just like not having to worry about it.

So at any rate, ******* award of the year....

Don't worry, I got you beat by a long shot for that award. In fact, I just can't say why. Take it on faith you got no better than second. Unless of course it was midnight, and you are in a 17000 gallon pool with a flashlight wading (brrrr) through murky wheat-wort water, trying to retrieve giant broken shards of glass carboy, praying your wife doesn't wake up and see you... well, maybe I've said too much.

ya it was AG. The only thing i did differnt was add 3lbs of c40 and 3 extra lbs of 2row cause my recipe called for 6lbs of c20 and i didnt have any :(

So ya as long as it turns out, Your right it dont matter. There is allways the next batch to get the OG on.

Don't worry, I got you beat by a long shot for that award. In fact, I just can't say why. Take it on faith you got no better than second. Unless of course it was midnight, and you are in a 17000 gallon pool with a flashlight wading (brrrr) through murky wheat-wort water, trying to retrieve giant broken shards of glass carboy, praying your wife doesn't wake up and see you... well, maybe I've said too much.

#1!!! that is the funniest thing I have ever heard.Did it make the pool hazy?

In the future, you'll take a gravity reading once you're boiling. You'll know your evap rate already. You'll know how long to boil and what adjustments you'll need to make, so when you're done - you're done and at the OG you want.

BRUTAL!! :eek:

#1!!! that is the funniest thing I have ever heard.Did it make the pool hazy?

Yep. I keep a crystal-clear pool, and it went instantly hazy. Actually, produced an epic algae bloom that had my wife asking some probing questions.

I thought about just chucking my friggin now-useless Wyeast 3068 starter in there and calling it my biggest (weakest) brew ever.

Yep. I keep a crystal-clear pool, and it went instantly hazy. Actually, produced an epic algae bloom that had my wife asking some probing questions.

I thought about just chucking my friggin now-useless Wyeast 3068 starter in there and calling it my biggest (weakest) brew ever.

Wash that yeast and keep it around.

swimming in beer would be fun though.Kinda like this..
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT9EpwgZLqg]YouTube - Basic Brewing Video - One Hoppy Guy[/ame]

Sorry for the :off: OP,But that is some funny stuff.

Back