Have I screwed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtau

Reaction score
Hello All,

Need some info/advice on my current situation. I made the jump to all-grain brewing this past weekend...loved it!! Was surprised how easy the process was. I was a bit intimidated going in, but overall I thought the process was pretty straight forward. Attempted C. Papazian's R U Kidding Me Pils from "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing".

Here's my problem(s). First, I accidentally put the yeast in the freezer with the hops when I purchased the ingredients 3-4 weeks ago...:drunk: (What was I thinking?) I realized my mistake a couple of days later and moved the yeast to the fridge. (Wyeast Czech Pils). On brew day, I smack the pack AND.....not much. Pack didn't swell much at all. Pitched the yeast anyway (didn't have anything else), and order more online from Williams. Fermentation still hadn't started when I received the second pack of yeast yesterday (3 days after brewing). I smacked the new pack last night and am waiting for it to swell (it didn't swell too much overnight...??)

The wort has been sitting there for 3 days, not fermenting at all. My questions is....Can I add the new pack of yeast and still have a decent beer?

ps. Another problem is that I'm still trying to get the temps on our spare fridge just right. When I checked this morning, it was right about 40degF...which I'm sure isn't helping matters much.

After a couple of days in the freezer, liquid yeast would be frozen solid. I'd expect that any survivors would be stressed to the point that they'd be very weak.
After 3 days, I'd pitch more yeast if it was me.

ps. Another problem is that I'm still trying to get the temps on our spare fridge just right. When I checked this morning, it was right about 40degF...which I'm sure isn't helping matters much.

Are you fermenting at 40*?

I would expect "some" of the yeast to survive, but the numbers are likely way down, which would lead to lag.

Also, you'll want to get the temps up a bit from there. I'm not that familiar with lager yeast, but I think they prefer somethign like 50ish?

I would not worry. At that temp you are also helping to keep the nasties at bay. Get some more yeast and throw it in there.

One pack for a Lager would be under-pitching usually. One recently frozen pack is very iffy for sure. I'd make a starter with the new pack for a day. If you can't regulate your fridge to the correct temps you are going to have a very tough time making a decent Lager. What you really need is a temp controller (Johnson, Love, Ranco, etc.).

Thanks guys. I'm definitely not intending to ferment at 40degF. Adjusted temp before I left for work to try and get the temp in the low 50's. My main concern was the beer going back after sitting for a few days without have adequately pitched yeast. But it sounds like my temperature control issues may have saved me.

even on the warmest setting, you won't be able to get the fridge temp to the low 50s as far as I know. I have never had a fridge that would go that high. That's why you need the thermostat as samc suggested.

Trying to temp control a lager in a fridge without a temp controller is an act in futility. Go to your local Homebrew Store and pick up some Nottingham or US-05 dry yeast. Pitch it, keep the temps in the 60's for 4 weeks and you'll have a smooth lager.

Otherwise I'd suggest making a huge starter with that lager yeast you ordered and pitch that, you'll also want to keep the temps in the mid 50's for the lager fermentation, 40 is too cold.

How confident you are in your sanitation practices will dictate which route you should take. If you're absolutely positive you were sanitary and can take the time to wait then make the starter and pitch your lager yeast, otherwise pick up some dry clean ale yeast and pitch that.

Just my $.02...

Back