lees in a septic system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
We moved into this house recently and we are on septic. I would just put my lees in the garden but it is winter and with all the snow, there really is no place to put it sans just filling up a bucket and waiting. So I just dumped it all down the drain into the septic system. I figured the worst is the septic beasties get a little high nutrition snack.

Is that bad?

Grease, food solids, hair, lint... all bad stuff.

I've heard that yeast can actually be good for your septic if it's having issues.

I had a septic system for 12 years and was told to buy the yeast squares sold in the dairy department of large grocery stores and flush them into the tank every month or so.

I'm not a real expert on septic systems, but I would think the wine lees and yeast would be one of the best things you could add to your septic system to keep everything working in there like it's supposed to! You want that stuff working to breakdown the solids.

A healthy septic system doesn't need any additives other than what you... umm... make yourself. My septic guy said that using that stuff was like taking stomach medicine every day even though you don't have a stomach ache. But a bit of yeast on brewday at least isn't BAD for it.

Baking soda is also supposed to be good for maintaining the Ph of your septic. I wash most of my clothes in baking soda (allergic to stuff in detergents) so mine gets a regular dose.

Latest posts

Back